World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im looking to be buying a lure rod for bass etc for the summer casting lures weighing between 14 and 25 grams i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips, i will be mainly fishing of beaches and maybe a few jetties etc,thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
There are loads of topics on this, just use the search facility. Comes up every couple of days! Try veals or harris your best bet, something 10-11ft and fairly light. I have a shimano catana in 11ft 10-30gm does ok, though you might want a bit more beef.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a Mike Ladle Surespin and a Greys Missionary. Both are 4 piece rods and are exceptional. I believe that the Greys Missionary has been replaced by the GRX Spin though i'm sure it's also a good rod.

Both of my above rods have been recently tested in the Caribbean. I used them for spinning and float fishing and both handled large fish with ease. A multi section rod would also allow you too take it anywhere should that moment arise.

·
Registered
401 Posts
the 2 piece claims 10 - 60 i reckon 20-45 is more realistic, its very similar if not identical to the old daiwa whisker rods as it is built on one of their blanks. The 4 piece probably about the same but not so good with the higher end. Daiwa excelers are basically the mike ladle with slight upgrades in blank and guides but they are more pricey. Both are top rods and capable of landing big fish if thats what you're after, will stop any bass no problem. I personally fish a lot of un weighted plastics and smaller plugs so find them a bit heavy. But with the traditional British tendency for heavy tackle most don't seem to mind and loads of people like them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've been casting lures up to 50g with the Mike Ladle without a problem, though it perhaps felt slightly better with lures around the 30g mark. Mine is the mark1 version. I believe the Mk2 is slightly stiffer?, so should perform slightly better with the heavier lures.

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
if u can still get hold of one get a penn prion.11ft 1-3oz 17lb-20lb line rating.nice fine tip for small plugs but plenty of backbone and fast action.it can take some serious stick.

·
Registered
936 Posts
erm just wondering, a relative of mine is goin to america soonish and they are stayin relatively close to bass pro shop. Just went on their website and they have numerous freshwater and saltwater spinning rods at unbelievable prices! Some around £20!!! Im lookin to start the whole spinning for bass/pollack thingy and wanting to buy a rod. However ive noticed that all the rods are relatively short compared to some of the lengths you guys have been talking about. They are all around 7-8ft compared to the 10-11ft suggestions. Would this make a large difference and wud it b worth buyin 1 or 2? and suggestions wud b greatly appreciated, john

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
However ive noticed that all the rods are relatively short compared to some of the lengths you guys have been talking about. They are all around 7-8ft compared to the 10-11ft suggestions.
Probably the two main reasons for this is that fishing with shorter rods combined with baitcasting multipliers such as the Shimano Curado is common practice in the States and also because a lot of Americans would do their spinning from a boat.

Another thing that you don't tend to find in the States is travelling rods.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You could send someone who knows nothing about lure rods to buy a rod based on the purely as low a price as possible advice of a self confessed lure fishing novice but what do you think the chances of getting a suitable rod are?
You have asked for advice and knowledgable anglers have gone to the time and trouble to answer your question so I would listen to what they had to say but £20 is cheap even if a 7' cheap far eastern US import rod isnt very good. Plus a lot of the yank rods are one piece and I do not think your friend would be that amussed as they tried to get a 7' rod on to a DC10 ;-)

·
Registered
103 Posts
you can pick up cheapo 7ft'ers here in the UK.

Usually classed as "Kids Spinning Rods" - I have a couple for the boat, that i beat hell out of everytime i use them, and often left rolling around the back of the car or boat i don't mind anyone borrowing them... etc... and they still haul fish.

Then I have a "proper" spin rod as well as 2 x boat rods and beachcaster, as i spend alot of time on the shore and beach, horses for courses!

My advise if your looking for a cheapish spin rod, go to your local shop and have a chat with the guys, My spin rod cost me £40 and I'm perfectly happy with it and i use it for shore and boat stuff.

Then if you want a couple of slap happy beater rods hit ebay, you'l soon find a couple of cheap 7ft'ers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i Use a nige willams lure rod xtc100 for most of long range and fast water work 1-3oz , it was designed for pike in mind but is a wicked bass/ spinning rod from shore or boat , for shore rock marks i tend to use a 7 foot spinning rod , you can get the abu 5'6 trigger grip rod in uk for around 20 quid anyway and they work sweet my friend has one and landed a 3lb 8 bass on one with a big smile on his face check ebay uk item number 110124427941 and you can find nice reels to go with them item no 300089210450 if you wish to go down this root

go get em

·
Registered
936 Posts
thnks alot guys, was just an idea. may get a cheap short rod, like u sed.. just wack it in the boot and use it wenever u want. even if it was only used a couple times a year for mackerel or summit. Try out ebay soonis. Thinkin im gonna ask them to bring some lures and jellys back, they seem to be pretty cheap too. Think im gonna invest in a greys spining outfit though, probs a 9ft one. Noticed they have them on sale atm in glasgow angling centre for around £65!! reatailed at around £100, that cant be a bad buy. plus thye have a lifetime gurantee on them!
Thanks alot though, much appreciated, j

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just bought A rhino specialst 11ft coarse rod which i am using for spinning combined with a penn captiva live liner. used it today with a j11. lovely action and also managed to pull in a 1lb bass which was safely returned. a great little fighter with a nice rod.

(rod was 100quid and comes with a lifetime garantee)

hope this helps

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use and abu enticer for the lighweight spinners and lures and a masterline power plugger for the heavyweight lures, both work really well.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts