World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend – with yesterday (Monday) being a bank holiday here in Germany – I went with a group of others from the angling club I belong to on a sea-fishing trip to a place called Maasholm up on the German Baltic coast, just a few miles south of the Danish border (and about 350 miles from home).

It was my first time on this annual spree. The weather was fine and we got out on both Saturday and Sunday for a full 8 hours.

I was a bit sceptical when I heard that there could be as many as 48 anglers on board the ex-fishing cutter and my worst fears were confirmed when there were indeed 48 aboard on Saturday and 43 on Sunday. As you can see from the photo with perhaps 25 or 26 anglers, that was an absolutre squeeze with hardly more than an arm’s length between neighbours. Casting was a nightmare and line tangles between neighbours happened on just about every drift.

It was all drift fishing and as the Baltic does not have any appreciable tidal range or currents, the drift relies exclusively on the wind which was fairly light. The target was cod and the angling method was pirking with most people using a 2 or 3 hook pirk-twister rig – (yours truly being the exception using lug, squid and bluey baits on ledger type rigs).

Anyway, the skipper failed to find any concentrations of fish on any of his marks, so catches were infrequent and seemingly just solitary fish. The total take for the 2 days consisted of a few smallish cod with 2-3 up to about 70 cm length and a fair number of whiting – plus 1 decent-sized mackerel that must have lost its shoal….

The cod were very skinny and had nearly empty stomachs, so obviously there must be a lack of prey fish in the area.

Personally I managed a couple of whiting, but at least 6 of our party (of 18) blanked.

I also spoke to 3 people who had been out in their own small boat after turbot etc. on the sand banks – they had only had 12 between them all day and were also quite disappointed, so the western end of the Baltic is not a good area at the moment.

Antje-D-1366400.jpg

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bring them to Norway for a week in 2018 ;)
That would be brilliant, but I can't see it happening as a club tour.

Although 4 of us are planning a 4-day trip to South Norway (Skottevik - and you can't get much souther than that in Norway) in March 2017, which is just possible in a day from here by car/ferry. Perhaps if that goes well the same 4 may be interested in North Norway 2018....

By the way, on your website sandlandbrygge.com "how to get here" you mention the ferry to Sør-Tverrfjord, but what's the nearest/most convenient airport?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts