World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well started on the friday for a few hours at mogs eye, sea was calm and flat, very nice night to be out and about, as a novice the advice and bait from pouting paul was essential, but missed the odd bite and called it a day,

next day tried mablethorpe directly out from the chalet park, waded out again sea was nice and flat yet nothing ( dispite my father inlaw wanting to go against advice where the fish were lol

night went to walla bank and BINGO, first ever smoothe hound,

funny thing was we got tangled and tried to pull the line in by hand, and this little monster was on the end, i jumped for joy thinking it was on my line ( i got one, i got one) then turned to rodger (father in law) with a big grin on his face, yeap on his line, still just being able to catch one of these was brilliant, again thanks for the bait paul think it was caught on peeler,

after we sorted the lines out and got over the excitment of the catch we stayed for a few hours and left,

next 2 days were a blurr nothing happened, wind was very high NW'ly under current just bringing the weight back to shore, got chatting to some old blokes on the beach at chapel six marsh, showed me how to use a bait pump and a few areas for peeler, so not a total waste, 20 / 21st tryed frozen peeler but with the rough sea the odds of catching were slim (again agaists pauls advice hahahaha) tried mackrel in the white water but nothing no bites but like i said, i learnt alot over them few days, so should be ready for great yarmouth next week is i can get out ( shhhhh dont tel the misses) well so about it being all over the place, i keep meaning to write notes when i got out so i know what to say on here but hey, i remembered something, lol
again thanks paul and mark

will try and find my data cable for pic of the smoothe hound, ok cheers guys and tight lines

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Jesus mate, Smoothounds are considered by many as a purely sporting fish which are always put back into the water as a "thank you" for the fight they put up.

With respect to you, I'm surprised you haven't had any flack from that pic of the dead smut you have posted. It looks to me like a good 9lb or even into double figures specimen.

Now if you didn't realise, and kept the fish out of ignorance of the general consensus that you return them, then fair enough - next time give the fish another chance, if you want to.

Saying all that though, each to his/her own opinions on catch and release or keep and fillet. It's ultimately up to the individual angler to decide to keep the fish or not. I just hope that you have, or intend to, eat the fish.

Please don't take offence in what I have posted here, I'm just trying to let you know what "I" think the score is on this species of fish.

Well done on persevering through the rough conditions and on the very nice sized smut mate.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
924 Posts
Great to read your account of the capture of your first smoothie and I'm pleased I was able to be of some help with some peelers etc. The species does indeed provide some excellent sport on the rod and line and, in my opinion, they are also good to eat. I have taken a few fish this year for the table and, after gutting and skinning, I have eaten them both deep fried in batter (just like the rock eel from the chippies "down south") and poached in milk and served with a good parsley sauce. Excellent grub -the meat has a firm texture (not unlike tuna) and is mild and sweet and is definitely not overpowering. What's more the single backbone is soft and is easy to deal with on the plate!!
Interestingly, I have heard that the Smoothound, unlike the Cod, is not an "endangered" seafish. I can't work out why we in the UK don't find it on our the fresh fish counters. I understand that this fish ( or perhaps something similar) is known as the Gummy Shark in Australia and is sold there as "Flakey". Evidently it is very popular , but surprise, surprise, Smoothound cannot even be given away at Grimsby fish market. Everyone argues that if it's not Haddock, Cod or Plaice people won't eat it. Fussy lot aren't we!! "Now't as Strange as Folk" is perhaps an appropriate saying.
Anyway congratulations again my friend on catching your smoothie. I hope you enjoy eating it and catch many more in the future. I look forward to seeing you again soon in Mablethorpe.
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i thought as long as you eat the fish it would be fine, as i did,

i didnt mean to upset anyone, however it did taste nice, and as cod are few and far between, and as sping cottage says, us as great brits should start eating the more plentiful fish in our seas, and maybe start putting the cod back,

however it would be nice to see a list of other fish i should not post i have eaten on here, as the ling was just like cod, and whiting was ok and the big dab i caught went down a treat, i may as well get them all out in the open so this doesnt arise again,

thanks for the help paul, will try and come up again soon.

i thought most fish in the sea you could eat, not really into seafishing for the sport,

well theres my reply. and thanks for your input

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
well i thought as long as you eat the fish it would be fine, as i did,

i didnt mean to upset anyone, however it did taste nice, and as cod are few and far between, and as sping cottage says, us as great brits should start eating the more plentiful fish in our seas, and maybe start putting the cod back,

however it would be nice to see a list of other fish i should not post i have eaten on here, as the ling was just like cod, and whiting was ok and the big dab i caught went down a treat, i may as well get them all out in the open so this doesnt arise again,

thanks for the help paul, will try and come up again soon.

i thought most fish in the sea you could eat, not really into seafishing for the sport,

well theres my reply. and thanks for your input

couldnt agree more:clap::clap::clap:

krysb

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well said, my friend! WSF, I believe, should and indeed does represent a wide range of views relating to our sport. Least we forget it is a sport, however, just like hunting and shooting. It is not a game we play when we fish - we go fishing to catch fish!! (Games are for playing, like football and brass band competions etc.) I like to eat and share with my family some (or all) of what I catch - providing, of course the fish is neither undersize nor illegally captured nor inedible!! It does beg the question, however, just how many cod or indeed bass are knocked on the head by those anglers each season who would sooner see each and every one of their smoothound returned???? Thats chucking away good food!!
Anyway, some opinions are, in my opinion, best kept to ourselves, especially if the comments which sometimes appear are quite simply a bit of a negative "put down" aimed at a relative newcomer from someone who is trying "to biggit-up". A well thought out intelligent comment that is offered in a constructive way and containing a good balance of ideas, criticism and suggestions, should never cause offense. On the contrary it can only encourage the novice into our sport and contribute on the WSF forums. Surely that is a good thing, especially here in Lincolnshire, where both tourism and it's associated trade is vital.
Incidently, it also helps me to "feel good" as well, and that's just because I've tried to help a fellow fisherman!
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well said Paul,I whole heartedly agree,if people return the "endangered" species at a more regular basis than taking as much as they can we probably would not be in the"so called" situation we now find our selves in,1 fish is not going to cause a major problem and I do know they taste excellent ,cheers Andy

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'm pleased I've just logged on because I was initially surprised that the fish was not returned, however the posts do raise some interesting points regarding what is endangered and what isn't.

I've taken quite a few good sized cod home through the winter and spring but always "assumed" that it was the done thing to return the hounds.

Do any of you know the numbers of smoothies we have around the east coast when compared to cod or bass....?

WELL DONE to all for a little enlightenment....Simmo....:clap3:

G

·
Mixed views on this one guys,by his own admission the lads a novice,we all were once,or have some of you forgotten already!Lots of people like to eat a bit of "flake"but please if you do want one to eat take a smaller male fish,much better eating and less damaging to stocks.On a personal note I've been fortunate to have taken over twenty hounds this year,most of which have been "doubles"ALL have been females and all returned alive,but if I had taken a small male 4/5lb he was lined up for the bbq,anyway enough of the high moral sh1t,well done on your first hound,yes they do pull your string don't they?hope you have many more and you do what YOU think is right,Tight lines.
:crazy::wheelchai

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'm quite refeshingly surprised with the responses to this thread.

I wasn't advocating that everyone should return every hound that is caught, I was under the (mistaken) impression, same as Simmo, that the general rule of thumb was to return them, that's all.

I may myself now take a small male if the chance comes again this season. I put my first one back because it gave me such a good fight that I couldn't bring myself to knock it on the head, but that's just me.

Once again well done on catching such a fine specimen for your first hound mate :thumbs:

Cheers

Sean

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
Can I just thank you all for keeping this subject discussed in a civilised manner.... :clap::clap::clap:

I know emotions run quite high when it comes to fishing for smuts,and whilst those who fish for them purely for sport might find it upsetting to see them killed for the pot,those who do take for the pot are not doing anything wrong..unless it is undersize,or a female full of pups...

Likewise,

Those who take for the pot,must remember only to take what they would eat,and not just for the sake of it.....

In all honesty,I have been keeping tabs on this thread,in case it kicked off,but I am glad to see that the whole thing has been dealt with in a very positive way....

And as someone pointed out,Jimmy is a novice,just like we all were/still are as far as it goes,so please show the patience offered to you when you first took out your rods in anger,as those did who advised you..

Thanks .

Si.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Can I just thank you all for keeping this subject discussed in a civilised manner.... :clap::clap::clap:

I know emotions run quite high when it comes to fishing for smuts,and whilst those who fish for them purely for sport might find it upsetting to see them killed for the pot,those who do take for the pot are not doing anything wrong..unless it is undersize,or a female full of pups...

Likewise,

Those who take for the pot,must remember only to take what they would eat,and not just for the sake of it.....

In all honesty,I have been keeping tabs on this thread,in case it kicked off,but I am glad to see that the whole thing has been dealt with in a very positive way....

And as someone pointed out,Jimmy is a novice,just like we all were/still are as far as it goes,so please show the patience offered to you when you first took out your rods in anger,as those did who advised you..

Thanks .

Si.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
again WOW!

didnt think little old me would cause so much of a stir, i gotta admit when i first see the comments i was never gunna post again,

whoever a lessson learnt, i never even heard of a smoothe hound until that day, and will be careful the next time i catch one to check if its a bitch, however by the time i get up there i will know abit more on what to check,

thanks for all who voiced there opinion, and i think this wil help other in my situation and learn abit about what to do with what

aint learning fun

thanks again all for your comments

Jesse James (aka Jimmy) :crazy:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That's gotta be one of the best threads I've read this year :)

Well done on the hound, have to say I've never scoffed one, tried dogfish once and thats kinda put me off the whole eating of shark species full stop :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
first off this is an excellent thread. i kept two dog fish n had them to eat last week whilst in north wales, it was the first time id ever had dogfish iv put hundreds back, they wer worth keeping. im assuming smooth hounds r pretty much the same as dogfish n bull huss neva caught one myself, i can imagine the meat being of simular quality.

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
Absolutley unbeleivable!!!!

I can see your concerns Chris,as I know how much you love the sport from them.

But when you see threads on other forums,where claims of seeing a pile of dead pups just dumped on the beach from a trawler,compared to the odd one occasinally taken for the table,which is the most likely to damage stock levels?........

In fact,

Here is the thread in question....

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126023

Now THIS has disturbed me.........pointless,senseless,and needless.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Absolutley unbeleivable!!!!

whats unbelievable????

what is better, keeping the odd smut, or keeping the 1/2 dozen 3--4lb codling that are caught during the winter?
it all comes down to each persons CHOICE.
everybody moans about the lack of bass and cod around, but when it comes down to the wire, they still bang em on the head an take for the pot!! ( is this because they are classed as food fish??)
Me personally, have caught many 10LB + smuts ( used to live on the south coast) and not kept many, BUT the ones i have kept were destined for the pot as they taste absoulutley lovely.
The ones kept were mainly males about 6--8 lb,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts