World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on the shingle this evening and had a wild hour to say the least,
Its certainly worth a whirl over the next few days if you are struggling to get a bend in your rod! Had 48 takers and nearly the same joeys put back. I went to Weybourne but should think Salthouse or Cley would produce also. Sea is gin clear and full of W.bait so the Macks will stay:victory:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Welcome to WSF PS, cheers for taking the trouble to post and enjoy your fish. This dull overcast stormy weather is ideal. It's a sight to behold when it's on form and the sea is frothing with mackerel and bass. Amazing really when there are lots of beaches completely devoid of a fish at this time of year. Special place the shingle.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hi and welcome. Thanks for telling us things are on form to catch at the moment, only problem is I can not get there for a couple of weeks so it may be too late by then !!
I have only twice seen the ' feeding frenzy' when the whitebait are throwing themselves out of the sea to escape the mackeral, then the seals are behind the mackeral and who knows what is behind them.?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all,
Thanks for the welcome, went down yesterday evening full of expectations only to see big swells breaking on the beach and a mucky coloured sea, not what I wanted to see and blanked in style!
Went this eve and swell has died down a bit and water a bit clearer so had a go and blanked again!
I must admit seeing whitebait and macks going mad no more thana couple of yards out brought back memories when I was a nipper and learning to cast with my father, didnt think I would ever see it again!
I tried something a bit diferent the other evening as I had a spare pike rod with me, suspending a set a feathers under a float with a 2oz lead at bottom and cast out and leave on the bait runner. Make the waves do the work for you although you cant do it when tide is running hard it works a treat when slackening off! I did get a few funny looks from anglers seeing a flouro float being hurled out but what the hell if it works.
Gear used are century 13ft 4 lb test armalites with shimano 6500sea spins, you can hold them all day and can cast as far as most beach rods plus you do get a good fight which is what I enjoy. :happy:
As I am localish will keep you posted on the shingle, hope to get afloat w.end and nab some bass off Trimmingham using live sandeels on the pike gear had a few last year which was great sport again using piking methods.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Yo PS, great read. Loosely i've seen what you describe above and it always gets the heart racing. The most amazing one was after we caught a fair few bass one evening. It was getting past dusk and the macks came close. "One more cast".The macks were driving the whitebait and the bass where after the macks. Anyhow in less than a minute we were ankle deep in whitebait lying on the shingle. I had three bag fulls and Hoss the same. A frenzy. To this day I haven't had an angling experience close to it.

Keep at 'em and we all look forward to your news.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome to WSF PS, I'm sure you will find this site a great resource.
Inspired by your earlier success I popped along to Cley early this morning, sea was nice and clear but no white bait visible and little bird activity.
Got there may 1/2 hour before high water, picked up 7 good fish in the next hour, fished on for another hour or so but nothing doing so called it a day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi pikeslayer - good name I am mainly a pike man myself and inexperienced in this sea business - well done on your sucsessful trip
Went to salthouse yesterday and blanked along with everyone else I asked. Trouble is I never seem to get it right and perhaps jinx every one else!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Steve,
another piker ehh, I must admit it is my favorite species for most of my life just cant get enough of it in winter and dont fish for them until
1st of October, still a traditionalist! I have toyed with the thought of trying the harbour out of Blakeney in my dory with lures and livebaits it must have them there near the point? I may be wrong but I can remember going on trips with Robin Bishop a few years back and terns were always diving in the harbour mouth when we went off shore wrecking.
Have to meet up sometime and have a bash somewhere if you fancy it wether it be fresh or sea.

·
Registered
309 Posts
hi pike slayer.

I too am a fellow piker and have dabbled with the float in the sea.

I fished on the shingle in earlier this year and as the session was very quiet i dabbled with the idea of feathers and baits under a float.
with no sucess, although i do beleive it could be a lovely and produtive way to fish in the right circumstances.
much to the amusment of my fishin mate ( hi smiler73 )

as you correctly say, this lets the wave power do the work.

I am fishing in devon this coming week and am hoping for some float fishing fun off the rocks etc.

your informative posting was good to read.

simon.

:fish:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi PS I am indeed a piker. I do enjoy summer piking but am trying to wean myself of by targetting another predator ie bass but with only limited success.

I would certainly like to meet up and have a go and will pm you with my phone no etc

have you had a look at www.norwichpike.com? Im on the home page and in the gallary!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts