World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the site and am seeking some info regarding the mackeral species. I caught some last night off looe and when I gutted them their stomach cavities were full of tiny white worms that looked like they were living off the guts of the fish. I've decided to use them as bait rather then eat them. Basically I was just wondering if this is common and is nothing to worry about as I do enjoy a good mackeral on the barby! Cheers.

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
not to sure on that one :g: :g: , best to keep them as bait :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was told by a fishmonger a few years back that these are parasitic worms that only cause a problem to the host fish and not to humans and that they are common in many fish species. The general public normally buy gutted fish so they never come across them.

Hi, I'm new to the site and am seeking some info regarding the mackeral species. I caught some last night off looe and when I gutted them their stomach cavities were full of tiny white worms that looked like they were living off the guts of the fish. I've decided to use them as bait rather then eat them. Basically I was just wondering if this is common and is nothing to worry about as I do enjoy a good mackeral on the barby! Cheers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i had that with my best cod which was a bit of a disappointment - gave the fish to the mother - in - law!!!

Anyway, she's still alive sadly LOL!!!.x

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
They are a type of lice,found in all fish.Totally harmless,found mostly in cod,they do actually help to keep the stomach lining clean.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Bushy, nice to see you finally onboard!!!
For starters mate I wouldn't be worried about the state of the mackeral you are catching but the state of the boat you caught them in. lol you know what I mean.

LONG LIVE THE B-TEAM!!!

P.S anyone got a decent outboard for sale???? We're in desperate need of one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts