World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found soem sites and looked up the fishing, I went to Wexford last year in mid to late July and everyone I spoke to informed me that the mackeral are not about until August, is this true?
If not does anyone know of any marks where mackeral can be caught in July, or if they are showing now?
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just got back from SW Ireland and surprised no Mackerel yet.
They used to be in from May/June but some are saying its been too cold this year.
Hopefully they will turn up soon as last few years numbers have definitely dropped where we are.

Freddy

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i thought, it seems weird that, with the gulf stream and everything you would thought they would be there earlier than anywhere else.
Cheers Chris.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
Hi Tozer,

Just got back from Kilmore Quay, the Mackerel where strange. Some days easy to catch other times very difficult. I think we were hampered by the weather splitting the shoals up which meant it was pot luck as to whether you found them or not. Most of the time we had to steam out on the boats a fair way to find the mackerel and a couple of days we blanked completely!

Good luck mate, if you are trying for them off the shore, you might just need it at the moment. But then again you could go and absolutely bag up :D

Have fun mate...and stay away from the GUINNESS!

Mike Jnr

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess your the man to ask Mike, do you know of any shore marks that produce ray, Tacumshane is about the furthest east I can get.
I've been looking at areas and they look promising but I don't think anyone fishes for them round there and the info is either out of date or unreliable.
p.s how did the fishing go, was there much showing from the shore?
I read the article on fishing from/in Kilmore key I'm going to give it a go when I'm over there.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
If you can get round to Kilmore Quay, the Burrow shore is well worth fishing. There where some good bass and rays coming off it whilst we where there. If you want to try your hand at a Tope try Rosslare Point. You can fish from the Stone Groynes. I've never really fished Tacumshin so again, I'm with you there LOL. Fished just outside Tacumshin drifting on the boats and you pick up plenty of flats.

Just posted my report on the trip, its in the Ireland forum.

Mike Jr

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I just readit. It looks like you had a good time, I don't actually fish Tacumshane I fish the beach further along towards Carnshore point, I just can't think of it's name, and apparently thats good for tope, I'm giving it a go there an all nighter I think :S.
Do you mean fishing the beach to the west of Kilmorekey? It looked like a good surf beach but when ever we have been there it has been like a force 8 so it's never been fishable.
I have tried the harbour, and I've seen the mullet abotu but I have never got a bite, I was fishing a bit heavy though I think.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a local from that neck of the woods!

We **Always** fish Rosslare Point, over the rocks. Always guarunteed to catch something.
We were there last week (15th July '05), and a shoal of mackrel passed in close to the rocks - this always becomes obvious, as the birds appear to follow them in - diving into the water right in front of us. I quickly put on my feathers and casted out. No sooner had my weight hit the water and I had a 12ld Smooth-hound on my other rod (Ragworm) - had to drop the Rod with the feathers.
Took 20mins to land the Smoothie, at which stage I had taken 4 Mackrel on the feathers! (which were lying idle)- what a great half-hour!

It was getting too dark then so we had to pack up.
Back there again last night - a lot of biting, but no fish, just a few small flounder. However, VERY LARGE Bass could be seen right in front of us, only about 3ft off the rocks! The tide was in flood, and we also noticed large Bass in the big pool INSIDE the rocks - this area is nice & clean and only about 4ft deep on flood tide- we tried effortless to fish the pool as they were jumping all over the place. I don't know what they were after, maybe there were small fry around the inside of the rocks.

I fish this area quite regularly, as there is a sandbank out to the right (not visible), which the fish come in along. Tried Kilmore beaches for Mackrel a few weeks ago, nothing at all.
I'm told that Carnsore point is excellent on a westerly wind for Mackrel - drive right down the bumpy road to the very end, away from the wind turbines, the beach is very clean, with a deep decline into the sea. It can be very rough here at times, not a place for small kids. The mackrel can be pulled out of the surf, only a few feet out.

Frank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts