World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
you'll be lucky to find any this early m8. If you do get one it will be a big-un. the water needs to get a little warmer yet. Any rocky mark into deepish water is good.
I like to go cardigan way for them. Cant go wrong down pembroke though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
iv n0t heard of any numbers getting caught as of yet but they are possibly one of the easyest fish to catch when they show up...

i use a carp rod and bait runner reel with a 4-5 hook mini shrimp rig ( any feathers/or shiny trace works ) try sticking to shiney ones rather than the dull old feather ones i find they not so good as the shiney ones.

just lob it out wind in and then pull back the rod 90 degrees then reel in the slack line keep doin this till you retrieve it in fully.

once you get a take what i find best is to put your reel into free spool and then the mackral will rejoin the shoal and then the other hooks you have will get takes to if u do this id say 80% ul get full hook ups 4-5 fish a time

hope that helps

Jay

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
there have been a few mackeral showing around stackpole already. not many but a few have been caught. End of april and they should be on most of the deep rock marks around pembrokeshire mate. easy to catch, get yourself some silver tinsel feathers lite spinning rod wack it out and retirve but pull the rod at a 90 degree action. ill keep you posted if i here of any more being caught.

cod king

·
Registered
18 Posts
once you get a take what i find best is to put your reel into free spool and then the mackral will rejoin the shoal and then the other hooks you have will get takes to if u do this id say 80% ul get full hook ups 4-5 fish a time
That is genius. I'm definatley going to give that a go in the summer. :clap3:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
guys does it matter if your not a very good caster when spinning for mackeral this summer?
katiexxxx
i suppose it depends where u r fishing. somewhere like mumbles pier u can catch them by just dangling your feathers over the side.:clap3:

·
Registered
126 Posts
oh thats ok then lol im getting better its not like its impossible for me to cast but i cant go as far as others.
katiexxxx

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
i had one off marlos in february!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
iv n0t heard of any numbers getting caught as of yet but they are possibly one of the easyest fish to catch when they show up...

i use a carp rod and bait runner reel with a 4-5 hook mini shrimp rig ( any feathers/or shiny trace works ) try sticking to shiney ones rather than the dull old feather ones i find they not so good as the shiney ones.

just lob it out wind in and then pull back the rod 90 degrees then reel in the slack line keep doin this till you retrieve it in fully.

hope that helps

Jay

these are for the barbie,if youre having one or to fill the bait freezer.
much better fun to spin or floatfish for them,you then realize what a cracking fighting fish youre after.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
yup!!! lwks betta!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
yea!!! i asked yesterday!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
these are for the barbie,if youre having one or to fill the bait freezer.
much better fun to spin or floatfish for them,you then realize what a cracking fighting fish youre after.
You should have a go fly fishing for them with a 6ft brook trout rod. Garr fish go really well too.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
imagine what fight you would have with one if they grew to,say,10lb!!!.think it would be they hardest fighting fish in our waters then?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts