World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alreet guys,

Planning on hitting south shields pier on either 2 or 3 weeks this saturday for mackeral, depending on the forum post's on when the macky are here. Will be fishing with another coarse mate, just asking for a few tips beforehand. I have a few spinners plus rattling lures, would i get more success with these or is it best to get 5 or 6 feathers with a wieght on the end for casting and try spinning with these

Any tips or personal methods would be most welcome

many thanks

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
For some strange reason Walshy the first mackeral on the pier are nearly always caught by people using a string of feathers cast at distance:g: , a little later on during July and August lots are caught on spinners and also feathers.

Unfortunately we have Northeasterly winds forecast for next week:uhuh: , these will roughen the sea and send the mackeral out into deeper water but don't worry give it a couple of weeks and they will be in.:clap2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Viking,

gonna be either 2 or 3 weeks before i try it so hopefully conditions/fish will be good. When usings feathers, would it be best to say, use a 1/2 ounce weight and reel in quick to avoid snags or use a lighter weight and reel in a bit slower ?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
For some strange reason Walshy the first mackeral on the pier are nearly always caught by people using a string of feathers cast at distance:g: , a little later on during July and August lots are caught on spinners and also feathers.

Unfortunately we have Northeasterly winds forecast for next week:uhuh: , these will roughen the sea and send the mackeral out into deeper water but don't worry give it a couple of weeks and they will be in.:clap2:

Dave ya got that advice spot on mate,couldnt have put it better myself

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thanks Viking,

gonna be either 2 or 3 weeks before i try it so hopefully conditions/fish will be good. When usings feathers, would it be best to say, use a 1/2 ounce weight and reel in quick to avoid snags or use a lighter weight and reel in a bit slower ?

Take a rod and reel capable of casting a 5 or 6 ounce weight as far as you can but remember to use a shockleader of 50lb or 60lb for safety reasons, people have been killed by leads snapping off in mid cast, put your's and other peoples safety first.

Get yourself on the pier when it's flat calm, either at dawn when high tide is around 7 or 8am, or try an evening tide when high water is around 9pm to 10 pm. You want to be there about middle tide on the flood and as long as you are casting your feathers into clean water not the mucky brown stuff that comes out of the river, you will be in with a good chance of some mackeral.

From the end of the pier, you can either cast into the seaward side and let your feathers sink for a few seconds and then wind and jig them up and down repeating this process as you retrieve line. Wind in fairly quickly to avoid snagging the bottom as you jig at the same time. Also try to keep your feathers as deep as possible without snagging up, hard I know but you will get a feel for it after losing your tenth set of feathers lol.:)

Remember close in the pier is very snaggy and don't try feathering in the area called the wheel as you will be asking for trouble.

Good luck Walshy mate, you can do it, before you know it you will be hauling them in. Just remember though only keep what you need and be careful not to touch the ones you put back as there is mounting evidence that these fish could die from infection soon after their release.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
It might be more sporting to use a bass or a carp/spinning rod and use a cut down set of feathers with one or two hooks on and use a dexter wedge or abu toby for a casting weight. Much more fun than hauling them in 4 or 5 at a time on your beachcaster in my opinion, plus you can travel lighter and it wont tire you out as much casting and retrieving all the time.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Take a rod and reel capable of casting a 5 or 6 ounce weight as far as you can but remember to use a shockleader of 50lb or 60lb for safety reasons, people have been killed by leads snapping off in mid cast, put your's and other peoples safety first.
This is good advice but a total waste of time unless your feathers are tied to similar strength line - many are not!

·
Registered
449 Posts
This is good advice but a total waste of time unless your feathers are tied to similar strength line - many are not!
i know what you meen mate,a lot of these feathers are tied with poor knots and cheap line and they will part or snap during a decent cast,i find it best to re tie the feathers with 60 to 80lb line,it is very easy to do and will put your mind at rest,especially if fishing these piers when there are hundreds of other people there too.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm glad you pointed that out Phil, your very right :clap3: When buying feathers make sure they are suitable for casting with the lead weight you intend to use or alternatively make your own out of heavy line.

When casting make certain the main body of your rigs and shockleaders are made from a minimum of:

1oz weight-10lb line
2oz weight-20lb line
3oz weight-30lb line
4oz weight-40lb line
5oz weight-50lb line
6oz weight-60lb line

Cast safely, J.V.:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Tying a length of 60 or 80lb mono slightly longer then the length of your set of feathers next to them and tying that to your lead length and lead acts as a good saftey barrier. A bit hard to explain, but basically you cast against the 80lb trace and the feathers have no stress or tension placed on them at all, in my opinion this is fas safer then casting 5 and 6oz weights with those horredously tied shop bought macky traces. Another option is to tie your own traces like i do sometimes or re-tie shop bought traces with a reliable rig body and stiffer snood line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts