World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took the kid down to greenock waterfront today with the spinning rods to see if there was any mackerel there yet .

i only stayed for an hour and only managed 3 (one fell off on lift up).

there were only another couple of people fishing and some kids and most of them had a good few mackerel before i arrived.

i think another week or two should see the large shoals in the area.

al

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good luck at etive paul, hope you get a nice double.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
nice one that al i had a wee shot for them on the road down from loch awe on thurs , at furnace etc, etc, ...result ..nil !!

·
Registered
233 Posts
yesss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
usual stamps about a pound and a half but it changes all the time

Thanks for that.It was just that I'd heard from somewhere that the mackies on the west coast were more of the "joey" variety.We get them much later round here on the Fife coast,and generally they are an average of 15 or 16 inches,(never weighed any),with one topper last year at 20 inches.But at 1 1/2lbs,we must be about the same.

·
Registered
859 Posts
good to hear theres some mackies kicking about now

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
was down troon way trying out my spinning set up not a mackie in sight
same down newton beach
if there was any they werent interested or further out than i was casting my lure

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Thanks for that.It was just that I'd heard from somewhere that the mackies on the west coast were more of the "joey" variety.We get them much later round here on the Fife coast,and generally they are an average of 15 or 16 inches,(never weighed any),with one topper last year at 20 inches.But at 1 1/2lbs,we must be about the same.
In a good haul last year off the isle of lewis we must have pulled in over a ton of herring/mackerel.I landed the biggest mackeral.A big,fat,round torpedo shaped fish of about 2lb.It was huge !!!!
Thats the biggets macky i've ever seen but i'd say the macky at elie would match the lewis ones for size.
Mtm

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
loads of big fat mackeral in luce bay today!!:clap3:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have found a few years where the early shoals have all been joeys, from early to mid june, then nothing for a couple of weeks then the proper shoals of normal sized fish come in.

Not sure about this year though.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
nice one al dedication to the last they should be in good numbers soon:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have found a few years where the early shoals have all been joeys, from early to mid june, then nothing for a couple of weeks then the proper shoals of normal sized fish come in.

Not sure about this year though.

i had very large mackerel in february from loch fyne ,but i think they were last years that never left, also the mackerel i had this week from greenock were on the large side too , not joeys, although last years mackerel were quite small in comparison .

lets hope this year produces monster mackerel :g: :g: :blink:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
o aye , a could do with some of that.

its a bit bigger than my pb.

al

P1010074.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
im heading off for some fishing this week, prob head down the coast maybe to troon, possibly in between to largs/millport, maybe even up to ardrossan.....

will post if i get anything....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts