World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a recent member of the sea fishing community, I fish from an SUP. That's a stand-up paddleboard, great cos you can go anywhere, any depth but usually close to shore. My problem is that at low tide (Pagham) there are often Mackerel jumping ALL around me but I cannot seem to catch any even when I cast right into the shoal. I have caught a ONE Mackerel and a Bass at high tide but I like the low tide as I can stand in the shallows. I'm using feathers and a 2oz weight which is sometimes tricky as there's a bit of weed. I sometimes switch the weight for a popper to keep it all on the surface..to no avail. Any clues for a newbie?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, funny, cos I just tried 1oz weights and different feathers. I've been out this morning and caught 2x Mackerel and a 2lb Bass. I used a 5 hook shrimp feathers with a rubber shad lure on the end instead of the weight (the bass took that). I paddled around following the birds and sure enough, lots of fish. Brilliant fun. It WAS HIGH tide though so the low tide query still stands. Maybe it's just because they're not feeding at low tide.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You could bin off the feathers and try a Dexter Wedge instead. This will take Mackerel and Bass, will be easier to work with on a paddleboard (I couldnt even stand up on one, let alone fish from one!), and its more fun than wanging a big string of feathers about.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If it's low tide then try the harbour entrances you'll have to be there over slack water otherwise you'll get sucked in, but at low the shoals start to move up river, Langstone or Chi are all good, watch out for the boats though, and the beachcasters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Riki, yes it was low tide and I was just by the entrance to Pagham lagoon, the problem though was that even though I was on top and casting into the shoal, no bites. I wondered if it was just that they weren't feeding.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
My problem is that at low tide (Pagham) there are often Mackerel jumping ALL around me but I cannot seem to catch any even when I cast right into the shoal.
Many years ago the same happened to me. An older gentleman fishing beside me suggested that I cast to the side of where the shoal may be.

He explained that my lure/feathers are being lost inside the shoal of baitfish where the mackerel are not hunting.

The guy demonstrated by casting to the side of where he thought the mackerel were with me copying him. Both of us caught so I tried again in the original spot with nothing as he continued catching. Only when I resumed casting beside him did I catch.

This has stuck with me for 30 odd years and only occasionally fails, possibly due to no fish in the area.

It may not work for all of us and some will have varied ideas. Try them all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many years ago the same happened to me. An older gentleman fishing beside me suggested that I cast to the side of where the shoal may be.

He explained that my lure/feathers are being lost inside the shoal of baitfish where the mackerel are not hunting.

The guy demonstrated by casting to the side of where he thought the mackerel were with me copying him. Both of us caught so I tried again in the original spot with nothing as he continued catching. Only when I resumed casting beside him did I catch.

This has stuck with me for 30 odd years and only occasionally fails, possibly due to no fish in the area.

It may not work for all of us and some will have varied ideas. Try them all.
Brilliant. I will certainly try that. I have learned to try EVERYTHING where fish are concerned. Thanks

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
It worked again for me today.

Loch Long, Scotland and the mackies were hammering into the fry. So close were they that the mackies were around 6ft from the shore.

Dropping sabiki feathers amongst the fry did nothing but go 15ft beyond and I was hooking 3 at a time.

Strangely, I did think of your post as I did this :bleh::fishing1:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It worked again for me today.

Loch Long, Scotland and the mackies were hammering into the fry. So close were they that the mackies were around 6ft from the shore.

Dropping sabiki feathers amongst the fry did nothing but go 15ft beyond and I was hooking 3 at a time.

Strangely, I did think of your post as I did this :bleh::fishing1:
That's great, I was unlucky again in the same situation yesterday. Jumping within my grasp (Bass and Mackerel!) and so close to shore, I go off the SUP and stood in waist deep water. I guess I didn't cast far enough outside the shoal. Very tempting to just lump it in the centre as it's so satisfying to watch the fish all jump when the lures land. Not as satisfying as a catch though!

Must try harder

·
Registered
871 Posts
i would also recomend white feathers, another thing is to remember is to cast over the school and pull your lures though it, if you cast into the middle you will probably scare them off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Out again yesterday, same place but this time no mackerel, just hundreds of Bass, very close in..low tide 7am. I know they're Bass cos they're jumping mad. I was using feathers with a popper on the end to help keep above the weed. I tried ditching the feathers too. I'm thinking I should switch to live bait with a float maybe?? I'm fishing in about 2-3 ft of water (on my StandUpPaddleboard), there's a bit of straggly weed. Any suggestions? It's very frustrating to be casting into hundreds of fish for 2 hours with no reward. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts