World Sea Fishing Forums banner

261 - 280 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Beautiful weather in Fort William today with mirror calm conditions and slack tides bathed in sunshine. I thought I would visit the west end car park to have a few casts with the spinning rod. To my surprise I caught a small 1/2lb Mackerel and two tiny Coalfish. Lots of surface activity on the loch. Most unlike November in the mild conditions.

I will have to try and catch a Mackerel in December now. Surely not!!.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, that’s interesting.. we’re at for William for the next few day wondering where to shore fish and if that’s a thing up here in winter st all.
We’re staying next to arisaig btw

The star and mouse

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heading up to nw Skye next week. Much makeral around for bait or best to buy some?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Heading up to nw Skye next week. Much makeral around for bait or best to buy some?
Any Joy on the mackerel in Skye ? How did the trip go overall ?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Not much fry and sandeel about, wait until there are more jellyfish, they are usually the first sign and there are a few of them about ATM

·
Registered
23 Posts
9DB80759-5C0B-45CD-9E64-4C62746FA385.jpeg
97B73431-69E0-4378-80A4-AEA1581D9408.jpeg
Managed to get a mackerel off the rocks at North Berwick (below Glen Golf Club) this morning. Hopefully will see more of them with the warmer weather.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

Fished Loch Long-July 6th 2019 for mackerel-Caught 70 small inedible Mackerel and 7 edible sized mackerel. 7 hours of fishing with HFlasher rigs etc
Fished-Loch Long-July 26th 2019 for mackerel-Caught 3 edible sized mackerel in 6 hours.

The same poor catches for 3 years now.

Prior to that for the past 35 years it was easy to catch 50+ edible sized mackerel each visit.

Where have all the mackerel gone?

My brother and all of his mates report the same 90%+ reduction in edible mackerel cathches in the last few years fishing loch long/fyne etc.

James

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi

Fished Loch Long-July 6th 2019 for mackerel-Caught 70 small inedible Mackerel and 7 edible sized mackerel. 7 hours of fishing with HFlasher rigs etc
Fished-Loch Long-July 26th 2019 for mackerel-Caught 3 edible sized mackerel in 6 hours.

The same poor catches for 3 years now.

Prior to that for the past 35 years it was easy to catch 50+ edible sized mackerel each visit.

My brother and all of his mates report the same 90%+ reduction in edible mackerel cathches in the last few years fishing loch long/fyne etc.

James
where abouts on the loch are you fishing? plenty of larger size mackerel up between the arrochar pier and the shallow end at arrochar itself. maybe try conger alley too just by the holiday camp. plenty to be had

·
Registered
8 Posts
where abouts on the loch are you fishing? plenty of larger size mackerel up between the arrochar pier and the shallow end at arrochar itself. maybe try conger alley too just by the holiday camp. plenty to be had
We usually fish at glen mallon and have caught thousands of decent size mackerel over the years up to 2017. Up until then it was easy to catch 50+ decent size mackerel every trip, now its down to single figures.

I have also fished at the other marks you mention and others, as have my brother and his mates. Dozens of occasions. All report single figure catches of decent size mackerel, where pre 2017 it would have been 50-100.

The problem isnt about where i am fishing in loch long or even loch long its self. I have heard reports of similar 90% reductions in catches all over the clyde estuary area over the last couple of years.

Something drastically has changed about the numbers of mackerel in the clyde estuary over the last 3 years. Probably to do with recently introduced super fishing boats or changes to the quotas of the faroe islands or something else.

Fishing for mackerel in loch long in numbers now is a total waste of time.

James

·
Registered
721 Posts
We usually fish at glen mallon and have caught thousands of decent size mackerel over the years up to 2017. Up until then it was easy to catch 50+ decent size mackerel every trip, now its down to single figures.

I have also fished at the other marks you mention and others, as have my brother and his mates. Dozens of occasions. All report single figure catches of decent size mackerel, where pre 2017 it would have been 50-100.

The problem isnt about where i am fishing in loch long or even loch long its self. I have heard reports of similar 90% reductions in catches all over the clyde estuary area over the last couple of years.

Something drastically has changed about the numbers of mackerel in the clyde estuary over the last 3 years. Probably to do with recently introduced super fishing boats or changes to the quotas of the faroe islands or something else.

Fishing for mackerel in loch long in numbers now is a total waste of time.

James[/QUOTE

·
Registered
721 Posts
Usually granton pier is great for mackerel not sure what it’s like nowadays tho . Anyone know ? If their in down their and what the numbers are like ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Into the nets of the fishing boats.35 years ago there was little value in mackerel-you couldnt give them away.They are now being hoovered up by modern trawlers.They have been going downhill for many years.Agree about the decrease in size.The small ones are the dregs that dont fit in the nets.

Get an ultra light spinning rod and get some sport from the small ones.Its only going to get worse.

·
Registered
721 Posts
True we used to go to the local Chinese with about 30 for a tenner meal on way up the road .lol but now you can’t get 5 half the time .

I remember pulling them out 50-100 a time on a couple days fishing on granton pier or just a tad out from the pier in the small boat .

But it’s ruined now a bit like
Most places for fishing and digging bait may I say up here with the floods of well shall I say not so Scottish coming digging the life out the beaches .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m thinking it’s the same all over with many different things. It’s like you say, the mackerel are being taken, the bait diggers are out digging places they wouldn’t normally visit and even the mushrooms in our woods are being illegally taken on a commercial basis all in the name of one thing- GREED! As another forum member has mentioned, years ago mackerel were worthless to fishermen. It’s all about too big a human population worldwide and too much greed. Humans are basically bending this earth over and shafting it royally in a catastrophic quest for money ending ultimately in the human race going up it’s own backside.
If you could see the people on Chesil beach, Weymouth last week chucking feathers into the water in an endless frenzy to catch more mackerel than needed, only to find carrier bags full of them dumped in and around the car park bins, you would understand why there is no fish left let alone the trawlers. Maybe they should have thought about carrying home 50+ kgs of fish in the back of their £65k Audi SUV before doing the dirty on the mackerel population (you know who you are, we had a few words remember!)
Anyway, that’s my two pennies worth on the subject.
Tight lines (we hope)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I’m thinking it’s the same all over with many different things. It’s like you say, the mackerel are being taken, the bait diggers are out digging places they wouldn’t normally visit and even the mushrooms in our woods are being illegally taken on a commercial basis all in the name of one thing- GREED! As another forum member has mentioned, years ago mackerel were worthless to fishermen. It’s all about too big a human population worldwide and too much greed. Humans are basically bending this earth over and shafting it royally in a catastrophic quest for money ending ultimately in the human race going up it’s own backside.
If you could see the people on Chesil beach, Weymouth last week chucking feathers into the water in an endless frenzy to catch more mackerel than needed, only to find carrier bags full of them dumped in and around the car park bins, you would understand why there is no fish left let alone the trawlers. Maybe they should have thought about carrying home 50+ kgs of fish in the back of their £65k Audi SUV before doing the dirty on the mackerel population (you know who you are, we had a few words remember!)
Anyway, that’s my two pennies worth on the subject.
Tight lines (we hope)

We’ll my friend I second everything you said . I used to do the trout fishery circuit and seen this on a weekly basis , now you can only eat one fish ! And your friend any family maybe want one , that’s assuming you do eat them also most folk know they will be back fishing next week so what is the point in taking 14-15 home to say oh sod gutting them and toss them in the bin .
If you don’t eat them Personally then why kill and take home .

I also seen a man do the same on a YouTube video , only the guy is local to most Scots places and he’s out week in week out but still takes away 14 cod ?

Now tell me this theirs no way he’s eating 14 cod in a week before he’s out again . It’s just greed and they have a cheek criticising the trawler fishers for over fishing when we can’t even leave any on our bloody shores .

261 - 280 of 300 Posts