World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
mackerel like the skin on a mackerel strip because it's nic and shiny and they will eat anything shiny. i caught one on whole mackerel head! when fishing for bass from weymouth pier.............. makes no sense to me!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Why are we surprised? All fish will eat their own fry. So using a fish strip is simply puttting something soft out which is giving off the right amino acids to attract and retain fish.

The barehook, fag-end bait is the result of a feeding frenzy (I've been know to eat almost anything when really hungry and have left teethmarks in .... oops, the wife might see this!) Fish are primative animals even though they are perfectly suited to their environment and once they've laid and fertilized their eggs they are off (seems familiar!) It's all about size (at it again - sorry) Big fish have bigger fish on their backs to bite 'em (and bigger fish have even bigger etc. etc.) I am continually amazed at how small fish will take a really big spinner or bait.

When you watch a shoal of fish they do seem to be one organism as they move so well and in unison you'd swear they were a chanting football crowd or a professional orchestra, but if one is injured or torn then they don't stop to help! And if they swim in an area which has possible food they kill!!

I remeber once when keeping mice in school that I had a spate of disturbed mothers (Mice mothers I must add!) eating their young! Mice are mammals and seemingly more biologically advanced. Does anyone know any cannibals?!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Codfather2 said:
mackerel like the skin on a mackerel strip because it's nic and shiny and they will eat anything shiny. i caught one on whole mackerel head! when fishing for bass from weymouth pier.............. makes no sense to me!
I got one one a Size 8/0 Penell and a Mackeral Head :cool:

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
hi beefcake yes u can i caught mac on mac bait ,on hooks or any other baits.shaggy:)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
best i had was reeling in my pennal rig ,on the reel in a got a bite. was 2 mackeral on each hook. there was no bait on the hooks, the hoks were black! and the pennal was tight together, these fish where so close together they were kissing eachother. i was shocked.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Mackerel strip fished about 6-8 feet under a float is one of my most effective methods of catching them when feathers etc isnt producing anything.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Makerel is a top bait.

I once caught one on a Pink Jelly Bean!!!!

When I was little (about ten), I was on a boat and lost my only set of feathers I had with me. So i wrapped a Chewing Gum wrapper around a hook and caught a mackerel. Then I used a strip of that Mackerel and caught a Bass - I too believe in Re-Cycling!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I caught four mackeral on one shrimp rig at Colywn Bay Pier a couple of years ago and all we used was mackeral so the little buggers love em.

Little Mermaid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts