World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to catch mackerel (from a boat or shore) around the Felixstowe area? I always considered the water to be too murky, but the bloke in the tackle shop told me last week that you can get them for about a 4week period around May.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

all the best

Eastgreen

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The water a few miles offshore is clear enough to catch mackerel you get them off Walton and clacton so i see no reason why not from felixstowe.
I sail a lot from felixstowe and have often seen a lot of surface action around the cork sands and always put this down to mackerel or shoal's of school bass.

Alan

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hello all

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to catch mackerel (from a boat or shore) around the Felixstowe area? I always considered the water to be too murky, but the bloke in the tackle shop told me last week that you can get them for about a 4week period around May.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

all the best

Eastgreen
best place to get macky is up at cromer in the summer , the pier is usually best ,

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah cheers banglemouse. But I usually launch my wee tub from Levington, so just wondered if there's a chance of getting any from round the Felixstowe area

Alant that sounds interesting about the Cork Sands, though as you say it could well be Bass.

Anyone ever actually caught any in the Felixstowe area?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I haven't enough experience (yet) of boat fishing out of Levington to comment, but over the last 30 years of fishing, I've only ever caught two mackerel from the shore in this area. One from Felixstowe pier and one from Walton pier. Having said that, I've never seen anybody seriously targeting them. They never seem to show themselves in great numbers off the Essex coast, yet they are prolific round Norfolk.

Stu

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Had a few good catches of mackeral at Shingle Street.
Mind you - last time I fished there was 35years ago!
Float fished it frequently for garfish and for a couple of summers the mackeral turned up quite often.
With all those estuaries the water is usually too murky for mackeral. Just needs a really settled period for the water to clear.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think there's about as much chance as a tuna from the beach around here as there is mackeral. However, my old man slings a few feathers over the side of his yacht and does get a few mackies only a few miles off so there is a chance. I know the water is clearer and there is a chance of them, but certainly not a banker for sure.

As Alan T says, if there is action around Cork Sands then there's something chasing stuff. It's likely that the poor souls at the bottom of the food chain are sandeels andthat means that Mackies are a real chance. Give it a go and see what happens, what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
220 Posts
There have been good catches of Mackerel from Walton pier in the past , they are not regular visitors but if there is a long calm settled period and the sea reamains clear they can be caught during the summer.I have caught them from the very end and as close to the shore as the club hut area.Dont know about Felixtowe for Mackerel but I have caught Garfish from the beach at Landguard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As above, can be caught after a period of calm weather when the water clears. Main thing is not many people bother to try for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts