World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Azure Font Screenshot Parallel

The major buyers of mackerel are speaking out against overfishing:

"The North Atlantic Pelagic Advocacy Group (NAPA) is the unified voice of the marketplace for sustainable seafood." "NAPA partners are a collective of over 40 retailers, food service companies, and suppliers, representing the majority of the purchasing power for mackerel, herring, and blue whiting in the North East Atlantic."

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Document

file:///C:/Users/David%20New%20Local%20User/Downloads/Statement%20to%20the%20Press_%20Norway%20Mackerel%20Unilateral%20Quota.pdf

·
Registered
348 Posts
If the North Atlantic Pelagic Advocacy Group is made up of most of the buyers of the Mackerel, why can't they can use the threat of reducing what they buy to make sure the agreed tonnage matches what the scientists advise?
I agree , if they cant sell they won`t catch.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the North Atlantic Pelagic Advocacy Group is made up of most of the buyers of the Mackerel, why can't they can use the threat of reducing what they buy to make sure the agreed tonnage matches what the scientists advise?
It's not "most of", it's only "40 retailers, food service companies, and suppliers". If European retailers reject North Atlantic mackerel, the fleets will just sell to export (or fishmeal). I don't think NAPA have indicated what percentage of the market their members represent, so I suspect it's rather small.

Managing international natural resources is complicated. Mackerel distribution has been altered by climate change and other factors, but views on who's entitled to what remain entrenched in historic claims and national politics. The story of Iceland's claim to a mackerel quota shines an interesting light on the problem.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Its not only the Mackeral......Sandeels are a worrying issue too - being overfished to a ridiculous degree, and being at or near the bottom of the food-chain, will have a dramatic effect, not only on fish further up the food - chain, but also Seabirds too...I believe the Puffin is already in serious decline pure because of Sandeel overfishing in the last few years....

These are some of the reasons why I believe it is SO IMPORTANT to have a voice and be seen as a stakeholder moving forwards.....The AT and BASS to name just two orgs, are often accused of interfering on behalf of the silent majority of Sea Anglers, but these issues really do need all our support if things are ever going to change for the better guys...

Mart.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not "most of", it's only "40 retailers, food service companies, and suppliers"
They describe themselves as follows (my bold): "NAPA partners are a collective of over 40 retailers, food service companies, and suppliers, representing the majority of the purchasing power for mackerel, herring, and blue whiting in the North East Atlantic."

Managing international natural resources is complicated. Mackerel distribution has been altered by climate change and other factors, but views on who's entitled to what remain entrenched in historic claims and national politics. The story of Iceland's claim to a mackerel quota shines an interesting light on the problem.
It's not really complicated if you remove the politics: agree that the total catch will be in line with the scientific advice and agree a system for dividing up the total catch between the different countries (e.g. zonal attachment). Mackerel buyers could be saying: we are going on strike until you agree to keep the total catch in line with the scientific advice.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's not really complicated if you remove the politics
If that were easy. There will always be politics involved. Russia has a historic quota despite no coastline of economic zone in the area, and climate change has put Iceland into the game with no history of mackerel fishing but a very strong case for being granted a quota at the expense of some/all of the existing quota countries.

If NAPA represented a super-majority they could control the market now. But is fishing entirely market driven, or are there national interests that dominate? If European buyers turn down NE Atlantic caught fish, are Asian buyers, African buyers, or the fishmeal producers going to be as fussy? - where there's so much invested in the infrastructure of commercial fishing who's going to stand boats down and reduce fleet capacity?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it has been getting worse each year but this year the mackerel are really scarce , sometimes only one fish between 4-5 of us using lures , bass are getting the same each year . It seems like everything is being over fished .
Interesting, what do other people think? My experience is that it has become harder to catch mackerel over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Interesting, what do other people think? My experience is that it has become harder to catch mackerel over the last 5 years.
Trouble is those massive trawlers take out the whole shoal so destroy the whole Genetic lines of fish so in the end blood lines become weaker so less fish are breeding or healthy which means predators take them easier which in the end equals less and less also predators move on to other fish/sources of food which can be much slower growing/breeding than mackerel which then means there in danger.
Like with the massive unbalance we have with Whiting and Strap Eels taking over which then means they predate on other sources which likes of say Cod which would have kept Whiting in check wouldn't have eaten.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trouble is those massive trawlers take out the whole shoal so destroy the whole Genetic lines of fish
Yes, this is one aspect that really concerns me. It is one thing to take a few hundred mackerel off one shoal, but another thing to remove an entire shoal. As you say, that genetic material may be unique and irreplaceable.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Yes, this is one aspect that really concerns me. It is one thing to take a few hundred mackerel off one shoal, but another thing to remove an entire shoal. As you say, that genetic material may be unique and irreplaceable.
It's the thing that should be brought up when campaigning about over fishing and super trawlers

·
Joined 2009
15,476 Posts
Firm believer the only real way to protect stocks is at the buyers end. No sale no catch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Me and my brother have an annual fishing trip sometime in the summer, and we usually go to Chesil for the day. In the last few years we have really struggled to catch any Mackerel at all. This year I went on my own in the middle of July and I actually caught quite a few. They were larger than in previous years as well.

Maybe I just got lucky this time?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts