World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are mackerel heads any good as a bait?

Just making up a few squid and mackerel wraps and was wondering if the heads are worth keeping?

Regards,

Peter

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Absolutely, one the best baits going, if your going to use heads, slice down into the brain part, allows more juices out. Fresh heads are a prime bait for Bass.

lighty

·
Banned
2,360 Posts
Are mackerel heads any good as a bait?

Just making up a few squid and mackerel wraps and was wondering if the heads are worth keeping?

Regards,

Peter
when ive fished of southend pier ive got 3 baits from a mackerel ie 2 fillets and the head have had bass up to 6lb from the head section fished tight to the pier legs so yes dont throw them away

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
when ive fished of southend pier ive got 3 baits from a mackerel ie 2 fillets and the head have had bass up to 6lb from the head section fished tight to the pier legs so yes dont throw them away
If u can get the buggers out
S end pier

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Got bored of catching doggies on mackerel fillets so put a head on, first cast 10lb bull huss

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
I've been using a large mackerel head for huss for years. huss get them down easily but the dogs cant. we had 1 that threw up when caught, it had 6 of the used heads we'd been throwing in the water inside it.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I get three baits from a fresh mackerel. Two side fillets, then I nick through the backbone behind the head to remove it leaving the head attatched to a trail of gooey guts. A great bait!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I tend to make a mini flapper!! Same principle as a normal flapper but I remove most of the fillet for other baits then have the head with about an extra inch of flesh, purely for presentation and scent trail, the pieces of flesh from the last of the fillet starts to flake up in the water and gets caught by the tide, doesn't need whipping for casting either.

For most mackerel I get I normally find a whole fillet is too big but if it isn't I'll use just the head all the same. Stick it under your nose on a steep shingle beach and see what happens!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.