World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered when mackerel start to show? I live near ramsgate. First full year of fishing and sorry if I asking silly question
Thanks Andy

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hi Bud,
It's not a silly question, if you are only in your first year you have a lot to learn, and the only way you will find out is to ask !! if you ask politely as you have done, you will always get a response from others.
On to your question, as has already been said with the weather warming up as it is, they should be showing here very soon, a lot of it is all about being in the right place at the right time.
The best advice I can give you is to take your gear with you every time you go fishing, and be prepared to change your rig for feathers, as when they show it can be a quick affair, or they can hang about chasing the small bait fish up down the length of a harbor wall or beach.

All the best Andy

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks rob, this is all new to me and one thing I have leant is a lot of people don't want to tell you anything at times as it's all top secret!! The way I look at it is we are all after the same thing and would have thought one angler would have been happy for another on what they catch

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks rob, this is all new to me and one thing I have leant is a lot of people don't want to tell you anything at times as it's all top secret!! The way I look at it is we are all after the same thing and would have thought one angler would have been happy for another on what they catch
Hi Andy

You can tell you have not been doing this long lol and I am not taking the mick.
Ok there are some species you will always be able to get info on IE bait , rigs, tactics, where to fish etc.

On the other hand there are a few species, which for this time of year we will confine it to Bass, you will find it harder to get info on where to fish.
Tactics, bait, rigs is not a problem.

The reasons why it is hard to extract any info as regards marks, is first it can take a long while to learn how Bass are feeding and reacting in certain areas, this acquired knowledge is gained over the years by doing the leg work so to speak.
Yes we can all go and flop a bait into the surf on any beach with in reason and catch a bass, but to be consistent is something else !!
So for example said fisherman has been working hard to find Bass for 3 years, he knows what to look for environment wise, he knows through hard work what tides are best whether it be day or night tides, he knows what bait works best, he knows what rigs work best.
If you say that you get 2 tides a day, and and every 10 days they are changing from springs to neaps, the bass are around from May until October for example, you may only catch on rising tides on the other hand it may be falling tides, it may need to be showing a surf, or it may need to be a bit calmer, this is just scratching the surface of what you need to know !!
so you can see why if someone finds a little hot spot trying to get info about it is as hard as trying to get to an elephants scrotum lol

The second reason why area info is hard to get is because although mostly legal, the netters get out at low springs and hit the bass before you even get a chance, so it is all very hush hush.
There is the financial side to it as well, but in general people who are just angling for pleasure will only take what they want, whilst operating a catch and release for the ones not needed for the table.

Last note, they are a fantastic fish to catch, read up about them on the net, books, mags etc learn all you can, then put that knowledge into practice and look at venues at low tides, then all you have to do is find out the basses habits, it will take a few years but be persistent and you will reap your rewards.

Good hunting Bud it will all come to you in time !!

All the best Rob

·
Registered
698 Posts
They will probably show this week with big tides and high pressure and sunshine and although may is a bit early wouldn't be surprised if they are there in numbers off the piers (if you can put up with the usual problems of mackerel fishing on a pier!) Deeper water beaches should be ok too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts