World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a complete beginner I went out in the haven this week to catch enough mackerel for us to have for our tea. We caught one small mackerel on a hand line with little neon type fishy lures. Then we caught NO MORE! What are the best places to go to get them and does the state of the tide matter etc. Should we being going out beyond the heads? Any advice from the experienced amongst you would be most welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a new member of the forum I wonder if I have done the wrong thing in asking where to fish. Looking at other posts I notice now that people asking such a question rarely get a reply. What is the situation here - the etiquette. Thanks

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi bud,,sorry you have not had any replies yet.
Absolutely no problem in asking where to fish.The lads and lasses will be only too happy to give advice,,thats what we are here for.
It might just be that no-one from your area is on at the moment.
Keep posting and all the best,
Terry F.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Forgot to say,,there is no real etiquette, ask all the questions you want and people will do their very best to answer.
Welcome to WSF bud :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome to the forum AM

In answer to your question on location. You will get Makerel in the haven, but it's hit and miss inside the heads this time of year. Try the mid channel rocks A.K.A the pole. If the weather permits then try st annes reef.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies. Just a few more questions then...

What is the best time of year inside the heads for Mackerel?

Does state of tide matter?

Should I go beyond the heads and if so is there a preferred spot?

What 'rig?' should I have on my handline. White feathers? lurid neon plastic fish or what?

Can I catch anything else good to eat on a handline or will I need some proper kit?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm glad you posted this hand line question as I recently bought one from E-bay and have no idea how to use it :confused:

You can feather for mackerel with it ??? :confused: ???

·
Registered
383 Posts
i find the tinsel ( mylar tubing ) feathers work best down west. i fish just round the corner from milford i find they out fish any other type of feather. only a personal thought but worth a go :)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
terry f. said:
Forgot to say,,there is no real etiquette, ask all the questions you want and people will do their very best to answer.
Welcome to WSF bud :)
Just don't call the moderators names they can be very touchy Hee Hee ;)

Btw welcome to the site and a question for you - how do you spin for mackies with a hand line?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
was out on my mates boat the other week his dad was using ahandline and caught polack an mackeral it is simple just drop it down the side of the boat and pull the line up and down. Theres also the possibitlity of bass and codling too.

The mustad silver tinsel feathers are the best for the mackeral a redgillfor the polack or jellyworm i have found that either completely black or black with a red tail are best use the smaller ones for the pole and a tiny bit bigger for st annes on the chart it is st Annnes shoal I think. Hookies are the best for polack with a red tail not brown.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts