World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any simple mackerel recipies they would like to tell me.
I have some freshly caught mackerel and want a simple recipie for me and the wife to enjoy them with.
Have already thought about the poached in garlic butter recipie so any others would be greatfully recieved. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi
although i am only 16 i am a good cook!!!
when i cook mackerel i like to gut them and then wash the insideso there is nothing in it, then i put it on the BBQ with a bit of lemon cut up and i bit of lime cut up. when it is cooked i then make a bit of salad (lettise, green pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes, and a bit of cucumber) to go with it!!!
take the lemon and lime bits out and then drizzel a bit of olive oil over it )if you like it)
it is delicious!!!
beefcake

·
Registered
754 Posts
catch it , fillet it , fry it , stick it on a butty

nowt better

same applies to most fish
except bass - slight difference
catch it , swop it for a mackeral then see above
(bass was the most dissapointing fish i've ever eaten)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi Flounder
The simplest and by far the nicest way for mackeral in my opinion is barbecued.
Once gutted throw the whole fish on the bbq. Don't worry about filleting the meat just falls away from the bone.
The main advantage of bbq-ing is the fact that you won't stink the house out. Cooking mackeral indoors can leave a long lingering unpleasant smell.
This is not a very cordon bleu kind of recipe but very nice nevertheless.

Happy Eating
Arct...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beefcake. Has to be done on house cooker and not BBQ. I live in Scotland remember. Not really BBQ country/weather up here normally lol ;)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Steamed Bass on lemon grass. The best. ;)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Sorry Bass is best however you cook it - the fresher the fish the better and don't muck about with it keep it simple. Lemon grass is good as is just a hint of ginger and garlic or just stuff it with fresh basil season and grill. And Al don't matter what the weather is m8 cook them outside they really do smell the house out and it ain't pleasant ;)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Florida method.

Fillet mack
Put frying pan on high heat to get really hot. Do not put oil in pan
When hot put fillets in skin side down. Add garlic if you like it on top of fillet and cover fillet with Mayonaise. 2 good tablespoons per mack. Grind some fresh black pepper over it all and cover pan. Take off the heat and allow to standfor 5 min. Take fish slice to remove fillet from pan, skin will be stuck to pan and left behind. The garlic, mayo and black pepper makes a suce.

Wife loves it cooked this way.

Deep fried.

Fillet mack or any other fish. Dry fillets on kitchen paper and dust with flour
Make up a batter of 1 egg, equal quantities of plain flour and corn flour. Add a teaspoon of lemon grass and a teaspoon of ginger. Make up to thick batter with lager. Dip prepared fillets into batter coating thickly and drop into really hot oil. Only do 2 or 3 at a time or the oil will cool down.

Serve with a twist of lemmon and plenty of salt and vig.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi - Flounder,

OK ere it is, the best I have used, get yourself a George aka "George Foreman etc etc etc etc etc" you know those Grill type Doodys, Put to High, Fillet the Mackarel- nothing special just flank each side, lay skin side down on grill & brush with Olive Oil (I use one with Chillies in bottle-but plain is just fine) add freshly ground black pepper, slam down the top and 2 minutes later thats it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) , Be sure to be sitting down when you taste as is possible you may faint with pleasure.... :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
hello al , fillet it , make a marinade from honey and mustard cover the fillets wi it keep basting while grilling and thats u works on house grill but it is better on bbq.
im the same as u as in i like simple no messing about it is simple and it does taste great. as for the smell open the windows!! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
ummm these sound good. Would it be a good idea to have a thread just for recipies my wife is always looking for ways to cook fish and where better to look than on here

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ghosty said:
ummm these sound good. Would it be a good idea to have a thread just for recipies my wife is always looking for ways to cook fish and where better to look than on here
Was thinking that myself :D

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I saw a recipe once which said that marinading the fillets of mackerel in a marinade of extra virgin olive oil & wine vinegar for about 20 mins took the strong fishy smell away when they were cooked. I reckon I might try that if I ever get out this summer & catch any mackerel!
blueskip

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
I have to agree with Archi just finished eating bbq'd freshly caught mackerel......gutted head and tailed, meat just falls away from bones when cooked
Absolutely delicious!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi
I was told to grill the mackerel with a coating of cheese never tried it but im sure it would be worth a go. Mackerel dont hit this part of the coast for another couple of weeks yet but when they do i will give it a try.
anybody else tried cheesy mackerel?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Straight under a hot grill when fresh! Nothing simpler!

Foil package witrh any vegetables onion garlic ginger and wine in oven on BBQ or in open fire fdor 15-20 minutes is also good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts