World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone caught any mackerel yet in Scottish waters, particularly from the shore? Please mention when and where if you've been lucky enough to bag any yet. I'm loving the frenzy of anglers around the country as they start to catch these fine tasting fish. Kind of heralds summers come and all that!

I was hoping to get Fiona Bruce to front this post but she was too pricey (and on strike that day) ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
None for myself at Inveraray yesterday, however my mate had 2 at Millport on Saturday.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Was out from Dunbar today, six 1-2kilo codling in four hours, and was told that a few mackerel have been showing up over the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FishForce

Was this on a boat or from the shore? Does anyone have places on boats or is it all private stuff?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi there,
I was on my own boat. I don't normally have any room, there's usually a waiting list of mates wanting to get out but I'll contact you if anything comes up. You could try one of the boats down there, I'll try to find the name and number for you and post it here. They may be able to get you out with a party from time to time, or you could ask at Mikes Tackle as I know they run trips.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers gents

Will I get any joy fishing from the shore down there? How long do the boats go out for and what sort of cost are they?

Thanks again
Blenny

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think most trips are around 8 hours, as for price you'd need to ask the skippers. Shore fishing can be pretty good but it's rough ground so use rotten bottoms or try a sliding float rig. Try the back of the harbour or the rocks at Tantallon, (go down as the tide is ebbing, fish the flood and don't get cut off!).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Depends on the boat - usual is about 6 hrs - 12 anglers £20 per head.

If you're shore fishing .....and north of Dundee - stay there as it's usually more productive ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went down to Gourock yesterday in the hope of catching a few mackerel but Mackelroys (sp) point was like a scene out of Moses (a cast of thousands). Saw an old boy bring one in a nd lose it on the rocks so they are there. Went along to the carpark and fished there. Caught what I think was a pollack. my 4year old son caught three! :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Had a few at Terally bay on Friday/Saturday though most were at distance.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone had any mackerel in the Forth yet? I realise it might be a wee bit early but wondered if anyone's had any joy?

Cheers
Blenny

·
Registered
408 Posts
As usual a few have been getting caught from Berwick up to Dunbar and , I would imagine, further up as well. This is the usual pattern and we should see the large shoals arriving in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers Fishforce

Do you know of any particularly good mackerel marks from Berwick up to Edinburgh or is it a case of anywhere will do?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
HIya,

I've been getting mackies in numbers for nearly a month now up in the Sound of Mull.. now I've said that I'll probably blank this weekend when I need to get them :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Hi Davy, welcome to the site, you found us then.

How are your pets ths year, I hope you are renewing friendships with them for the season.

Pity Alan didn't make it as planned but knowing him 'He will Return' :D

1 - 20 of 89 Posts