World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that with certain excellent pastimes enjoyed responsibly by many that there are a very few brainless individuals that don't care in the slightest how they lower the perception and even possibly the acceptance of a given sport/hobby particularly to the wider general public.
When having a break near West Bexington a few weeks ago I set up rod etc. in what I considered a reasonable gap between some fellas that promptly told me 'this was their patch' for that evening!! I moved to the left a bit to avoid any further conflab. The mackies started shoaling in as early evening ensued and my unfreindly neighbours commenced chucking kicking and leaving live mackies jumping all over the beach in heaps. (I have always understood a true sea angler will dispatch even the humble mackie a.s.a.p. when caught - My own method is to insert my thumb right into the mackies mouth upper and bring it back over its back sharply taking just a second to do the job) Ten mackies was more than enough for me for bait and a barbie that day, also considering all the cyder/lager 'tinnies' being drank and yet to be drank by the then rowdy beach residents and I called it a day early evening. Several non fishing family groups with kids were also trying to enjoy a picnic at the spot. I wondered whether they will think that this is typical of many sea anglers. Going back next day revealed heaps of mackie innards heads etc (left above high water mark -not even returned to the sea ) not to mention all the empties and trash left.

I presume this is not typical of this particular place as I would like to visit/fish again with my grandson. Hope when he is my age there are not masses of rules and legislation with public opinion swayed against sea angling together with the freedom of access to beaches all helped on by the increased blatant behaviour of a few daft individuals.

Well thats off me chest! Am I the only one to be annoyed by those mackie 'yobbos' - or am I getting a bit touchy in me old age ??

·
Registered
407 Posts
I totally agree with you that this type of slaugher and total disregard for the fish themselves can only damage angling in the eyes of the ordinary Joe public. Too often the public out for a stroll along the pier see this type of mindless slaughter. It is a pity they are not on the beaches in the evenings when the hounds are providing excellent sport but all go back to fight another day.

I am more than happy to knock a fish on the head if it is intended for the pot or the freezer. But I kill it quick and try to treat my catch with some respect.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Unfortunately this is a fairly typical summer chesil experience. The only answer is to hike it for a mile or more from the car park. Chesil is big enough to always find some space to yourself if you don't mind a hard slog (keeps me fit I tell myself)

I have a bit of theory on chesil. There are talked about "hot spots" for various species at certain times of year that people in the know head for on chesil. These tend to be about 20/30 mins walk in either direction from any of the car parks (dragons teeth at abbotsbury for instance). I think that simply the more serious anglers walk for a while to avoid the masses, and being serious anglers generally catch more and better fish and then the "hot spot" reputation is born!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ole D,

No its not age, simply a matter of respect. I have thorughly enjoyed many years of shooting and fishing and simply try and treat my quarry as I would hope to be treated - ie if I'm for the pot a quick despatch please!

Takes no time to kill things if they are to be retained or quickly unhooked if to be returned.

Maybe the 'excitement' of the situation overcomes these guys (no real excuse though). However the cr*p that is left behind now depresses me - I cannot understand this.... yes I have left occasional bits of 'uncatchable' newspaper but believe this is no more than an eyesore and soon degrades.

Plastic and beer cans do not -the solution should be so simple.

I will fish Ferrybridge tomorrow, i know I can (and will) fill the additional bin liner I take with me with so called 'anglers' rubbish - worst is these are not holiday guys...what do they know of ammo baits, these are regulars who do know better.

Sea fishing (sadly) is one of the worst offenders - I have been a 'fluff chucker' for many years and yes there are bad 'uns there to BUT not to the same extent.

I am often disappointed with the state of the shore and (locally) Ladye Bay.

I no longer fish because returns are pretty poor (I accept, possibly my fault), the fact that I do not wish to catch aids from the discarded needles, because of the rubbish that is left there but also because of the general bad manners from the cr*tins that turn up there e.g. fishing low tide up only to have some bearded tw*t set up and cast over me from the rock ledge above... wish I was good at 'Kung fu'......

BUT, I will never understand why......??!

May be I too am just getting old...!

the (mature) muskins

PS sorry guys had to get that off my chest..Ol' odgers fault he hit a nerve..but that still doesn't explain why some individuals can be so selfish and ignorant..

What can we do about it.............??!

·
Registered
20 Posts
reasons why

1 ) summer

2 ) cheap fishing gear

3 ) disposable BBQ's

4 ) Cheap alchopops

5 ) Mindless family traditions

Probably the same lot who when stopped by the cops for vandalising some ones car , only defence was "cos I was bored " T##Ts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i'm not old but i agree entirely i brought two bags away from where i was fishing on Monday night their defiantly not Anglers or Even fishermen and their not just youngsters i've seen both the young and the old show a total disregard to the place their fishing at

what to do with em?

well someone who used to teach me about fish had a favourite saying
"if i ruled the world Littering would be a hangable offense"

there are times when i have to agree with him

short of the Cricket Bat to the back of the head technique theres not much you can do idiots will always be idiots all we can do is educate those that will listen and the young and hopefully one day it might sway the balance in our favor but thats gonna take along time or i'll get voted into power and things will change real quick

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mate, thats the reason I`ve vowed not to fish west bex in the summer. Its a right s**t hole. hooks, line, broken glass, cans, bottles, bags etc along with the ass***** that leave it that way. They should be lined up against a wall and shot with balls of their own s**t. As my old man used to say.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mate, thats the reason I`ve vowed not to fish west bex in the summer. Its a right s**t hole. hooks, line, broken glass, cans, bottles, bags etc along with the ass***** that leave it that way. They should be lined up against a wall and shot with balls of their own s**t. As my old man used to say.
Totally agree mate, and Abbotsury is no better. I got down there at 5am the Sunday before last and the amount of sh*t left on the beach from the night before was unbelievable (even up by the dragons teeth). Makes you feel ashamed/ embarrassed, especially when people walking along the beach see you surrounded by all this cr*p:wallbash:

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've had similar experiences and arguements at west bex - bloke leaving about 50-60 makerel dead and dying on the beach and then tried to p*ss off home without even considering what was the point in killing all those fish. Fluff chuckers should be licensed! How many of them have a clue what saftey implications there are and what a shock leader is?

Cuda

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Your not alone down there, we have the same problem in Kent around Dover when the Mackeral shoal up, but we get the added problem of gangs of ethnic origin coming down here and catching as many fish as they can to take away and sell and they certainly do not care how the fish or beach are treated, we have even seen them with up to dozen feathers on their lines and it is not uncommon to see anything from a very cheap GRP 6` rod to very flimsy match rods being used and no leaders, with the usual results of flying leads, so if you come here you have been warned

·
Registered
223 Posts
this could potentially be a p.r disaster which could affect all fisherman.all it needs is a child,dog etc to be seriously hurt from the litter left by fisherman or one of the swans at the swannery to die.we could find all manner of obstructions to stop fisherman from gaining access to popular fishing venues.

how to solve it is very difficult,it can be quite intimidating with a group of lads,adults who have little regard for the environment.if all serious anglers went down en masse and educated the cretins could be an answer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Unfortunately this sort of behavior is all too common in the summer and when the mackies show,ease of capture,minimal amount of knowledge or gear needed so it brings out the idiot in people.The reason why this is simply not a big issue (i accept there are exceptions) on coarse and fly fisheries is simple..........you have to pay and there is also the threat of getting kicked off never to return.To be honest that old chestnut of a sea licence will always rear its head,but i really can't see how that or fishing quotas on mackeral would work,the simple matter of having someone carry out the work to me seems unworkable.Funding available wouldn't allow the employment of an army of "Marshalls" and one guy walking up and down a beach keeping an eye on things! well i wouldn't fancy that with the obvious resultant abuse and possible threats would mean the job would be vacant every couple of days.The only thing as i see it is anglers such as on here try and get the message across,but i'm not holding my breath.

I've depressed myself now,to the point where the cricket bat to back of head sounds favourite :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
had a similar experience yesterday at newhaven when the great shirtless mob decended on the arm cider in hand load chav music and leaping off the arm.
why is it lads over 15 yrs old do not own shirts in newhaven

·
Registered
420 Posts
i have seen it too many times from ladye bay to chesil but be assured a lot of these people do eventually pick on the wrong person or persons, without going into details i remember going back a while ago seeing one of these types going for a swim with his tackle to the cheers of onlookers for the trouble given, not to mention an irate wife throwing her husbands tackle in the sea due to verbal drunken abuse given to her and other anglers, what goes around comes around i prefer to avoid situations like this, but i wont bow down either, i do enjoy fluff chucking for bait and food, and always despatch quickly away from the eyes of non anglers, i will now pass the box on to someone else

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is one of my summer past times mackerel fishing, getting up early catching the early tide and getting back home (Reading) by mid day with plenty of fish to last a month ... To have a bit of peice and quiet I walk well past the bird nesting area o fthe bridging camp ...

As for the litter louts or just plain louts ...

Sadly these are the sign of the times, there is a large percentage of the population who think that this kind of think is OK, along with agressive and abusive behaviour .... problem is there is no deterent for this kind of behaviour whether it is on a beach or anywhere else and as long as this remains the case the problem will only get worse ...

Thats my rant over with ....

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's not just a Chesil thing mate these tosser are everywhere. Unfortunately, you can't stop them. Well you could (and quite easily in fact) but I think you'd quite likely end up doing a long stretch behind the door :whistling:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i remember going back a while ago seeing one of these types going for a swim with his tackle to the cheers of onlookers for the trouble given

i'd watch out you could get nicked under the Marine Pollution Act 1987
theres a section on Pollution by noxious substances that i think would cover this lol

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know where you're coming from with this. usually fish the same beach and hate seein crap everywhere. always feel obliged to clear up other peoples litter. especially beer cans and that cos they wont just degrade into nothing overnight. really cannot see the point in catching more mackie than needed. amazing how many people target just the one species, surely there is more enjoyment with other summer species as well?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I know where you're coming from with this. usually fish the same beach and hate seein crap everywhere. always feel obliged to clear up other peoples litter. especially beer cans and that cos they wont just degrade into nothing overnight. really cannot see the point in catching more mackie than needed. amazing how many people target just the one species, surely there is more enjoyment with other summer species as well?
i haven't targeted the Mackerel once this year i've only caught a couple and their have been a few times i've had em boiling away in front of me although once i've built my new smoker i may have to get out after a few

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have been down to weymouth for at least one week for each of the last eight years and I have to say last week was the worst I have seen for rubbish and the abuse of what was caught. THe rubbish at both Ferrybridge and Bexington was dreadful.

Fished Bexington and walked a long way west to get away from everyone only to end up with four "chavs" with cheap pond rods next to me trying to hurl six feathers each. The cafe must have done a roaring trade on feathers as they used no leader but when they started hurling fish at one another I saw red. They didnt hang around long afterwards but the wife was angry at the risk I didnt think of.

As for rubbish, the number of disposable BBQ's buried was unbelievable. You only find them because of the piles of other crap left behind. I clear up other peoples mess like others do but this is unfortunately a national thing as the rubbish left on the Prom here in Blackpool by so called anglers is unbelievable as is the abuse given to the catch. Have tangled with others who bash Dogfish on the wall because they are a nuisance yet these are the same moaners when nothing is caught.

Sign of the times unfortunately I think.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts