World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the awfull weeded out beach session last night, I was determined to use the prime lug and eel I didn't get to use.
Ventured out with Glassback looking for a new mark Near Port Isaac only to find a family heading down to the mark a few minutes before we got there. Rather than walk down to find no room, we ventured over to a favourite little mark to see what was about over high tide.
Fishing was poor, but was to be expected in daylight. The lug and eel baits were untouched all afternoon/evening, so instead we had great fun catching macky on float fished eel.
Pete then put a massive macky bait in close, to see for conger etc. A few minutes later, a funny slow tug type of take, and off went the ratchet!! He struck in, had a good scrap and ping!!! Whatever it was, was gone!!
Not to be outdone, I sneakily undone my float rig, and lobbed a macky bait in nice and close myself. Whilst Pete was on the phone, the rod started tapping away. I left it and then scream went the ratchet!!!
I struck in and had the weirdest feeling fight i'd ever had. It was like a flapping type of pull, very aggressive and a great feeling!!!!
I had an idea it was a lobster, and after nearly losing it to the rocks, and a bit of to me to you, I resorted to hand - hauling. My rod and reel had locked solid and I struggled to lift it by hand!! Just as I could see the top swivel clear the overhanging cliff, the worst thing happened! Ping went the 60lb shocky against the jagged cliff, and the sound of a massive lobster hitting the water was heard grrrrr.
This was by far the biggest lobby I've ever had or seen, and I was truely gutted to have lost it. It sounded like a paving slab hitting the water lol.
Not long after, the drizzle and rain came over, so we decided to head up the cliff before it got too slippery. Next time i'll be taking my lobster pot, as I've had plenty off there in it, but nothing the size of this beast!

·
Registered
210 Posts
NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Must have been some weight if the shoccy went, i reckon it was 7-8lb specimen. Would have been nice to at least see it but some of the marks weve fished i wouldnt dear peep over the edge. He will be waiting for next time. Might need a few mods to the trap though.

cheers shaun

·
Registered
181 Posts
He will be there next time waiting for my arrival then!!
I have a few collapsable pots that I throw out and have had a few Lobsters, Brown Crab, Prawns etc however 'the one that got away' sounds like he needs me to build a Lunker pot all of of his own.

Well done mate, just keep thinking next time... Lobsters are terrotorial so he is the daddy in that area and with the way the housing market is at the minute he wont be moving anywhere soon!

Pete

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
out with Glassback...
a funny slow tug...
I sneakily undone my float rig...
the rod started tapping away....
a flapping type of pull, very aggressive and a great feeling!!!!
and after nearly losing it to the rocks, and a bit of to me to you, I resorted to hand...
I've had plenty off there...
Mate you do see some action don't you. lol :wub:

What is it with you and lobsters anyway Mart??

You do find em mate. Hopefully you'll bag him again.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll get him next time m8, thinking of going back just for them and not bothering with the fish lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Unlucky mart..i'm guessin that where you got him is a good haul up the cliff...I've had them before with a ball of line around the hook so they get their claws tangled in it and salted mackeral is killer bait for them go and get him before he ends up in Dennis Knights tank LOL..

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
salted mackeral is killer bait for them
Yep. Get yourself some salt, some maccy and leave it in a sealed bucket in the shed for a while.... and don't tell the missus.... or spill the juice. Decant the built up water (maccy juice) of the surface into another container several times and use this killer liquid to pour over the spot where you wish to fish as well.
Yum yum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts