World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For fishing flatties on average how many maddies are you threading onto each hook? I was putting on 5 or 6 but the mate was putting on maybe 10 or 12 and was doing somewhat better.:g:

·
England Team Captain
30,606 Posts
For fishing flatties on average how many maddies are you threading onto each hook? I was putting on 5 or 6 but the mate was putting on maybe 10 or 12 and was doing somewhat better.:g:
Think your answer is in the question mate.

I like to load 'em up.Depending on the hook size of course I'll get 10 on.
Although a bit of lug tipped with 4 or 5 works as well.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I generally thread one up the hook shank and head hook anything up to a dozen worms depending on hook size. :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i'll thread 3-4 up the snood (head hooked) then load the hook up with 5- 10 more (head hooked again). or instead of putting maddies up the snood try using half a black or king rag and tip of with a bunch of maddies.

i find that thin aberdeen blues are excellent for presenting maddies.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
In comps on the Thames eastury some of the competitiors will go through 500 maddies on a 4 hour match. The matches are 3 hooks max.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
whenever i have used these i vary the amount i use. sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes upto 10 or more. for me it depends on alot of factors, what im after, hook size, amount of worms ect

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find that the more the better, no matter what you are after, as there are times when a lot of smaller fish and crabs will easily pinch the worms off as they are only head hooked.
No bait is ever too big, I've had flounder around the 1lb mark smash up whole live peelers (the size of your fist) on a 3/0 hook while bass fishing in estuaries and open beaches.
The trick is too experiment and not be scared of overdoing it or unerdoing it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
For flounders on a size 1 or 2 hook start with 1 or 2 threaded right up through the body, then another two or three threaded about 1cm up and pushed up the snood, and then a good 5 or 6 head hooked dangling. For a size 6 or 4 hook about 5 maddies is right and for anything between a size 1 and 2/0 up to 15 or more worms. The larger hooks and baits works well when the se is more coloured as the fish will be relying on scent more than feeding by sight.. One more thing you could try is a couple of gemini or mustad fluroscent floating beads on the snood. It adds abit of colour attraction plus adds a bit of movement to the baits, on occasions this can work very well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts