World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do u store maddies?
I've found a patch and collected a few, i've put them in news paper like lug but i wasn't sure, will they last for two days?
Also how do u hook white rag and maddies?
I seemed to kill them if i hooked them too deeply.
Tozer

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
With maddies you need to store them in peat, there will be peat where you dig your maddies, (right at the top of the high water "strand line") or along the top of the pills you dig in. It should be crumbly (get hold of a handful of it & crumble it up small) the finer it is the better the worms will firm up! They need to be left in it overnight at least, in a cool place like a shed (not in the fridge or they want move around)!
White rag, I usually keep mine in damp sand (from the depth they were dug), again I keep mine cool but not cold.
When you stick a hook in either of these they will die quickly, dont stick it in their heads, thread them on a fine wire hook about one third the way down their body & out before the tail, put 5/6 on the hook with their heads & tails waving, if it looks like a tiny squid, thats what you are looking for!
AND DONT TRY TO BLAST THEM 100MTS OR THEY WONT STAY ON, WHAT YOU ARE FISHING FOR WILL ONLY BE 30MTS OUT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate i dug the maddies with some blow lug, kinda like a by-catch, i put them in newspaper twentyfour hours ago, along with the bit of muck they had attatched and they have toughened up nicely, they seem ok.
I did what it said in the mags and collected fresh sea water in two litre bottles for the white rag, then put them into about an inch of it in an icecream tub, they're doing great. I find the sand goes stale, but it could be i'm doing it wrong.
i'm gonna use peelers, white rag, blow lug and a couple of small king rag for flounder in this little muddy inlet i've had my eye on for flounder and dabs tomorrow, fingers crossed :D , i miss my flatty fishing :( somethings got to take that lot!!!!
Tozer

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Erm.......whats a maddie.

Cant say Ive ever heard of it b4 :confused:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are small, fairly soft ragworm, they are also called mudworms/harbour rag in some areas, u use bunches of them on small hooks to catch flounder and other smal fish,
check out the article in Total Seafishing, May edition.

·
Registered
126 Posts
one tip for casting maddies is to dip the rig in the water before you cast. This way they bind together. You wont be using clipdown rigs because someone has already said your fishing for flounder that should be within 40yds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts