World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still stuck on shore but had a great day today. We travelled to Porto Moniz again today ,an hours drive on some of the most awsome roads in the world, with a view to die for around nearly every bend, and believe me there are LOTS of bends. I fished around the harbour with lures,bread and big prawns. Very first cast with a deep diving ,blue /black rapala i had a weaver of about 1.5lbs, then another and so on. These little evil ba*tards dont like bieng caught or unhooked,gently,gently etc. I then switched to bottom fishing into about 60 plus feet of water and pulled out 2 nice trigger fish around 3lbs. Great,switched to the float,feeding in mashed groundbait of prawn and bread. Started with some small bream . However i could clearly see bigger fish take interest only to turn away so i ditched the float /1/2oz lead and left just a swivel with about 5 feet of line to the size 2 hook /baited with a chunk of prawn. Flicked this out with a handful of groundbait and WHAM. This system worked brilliantly,with a slow naturally sinking bait. I had 3 different types of bream ,to 3lbs and great fighters too on light spinning gear. I also had a couple of GG,s and back on the lures i had some big fish follow but annoyingly turn away at the last minute, i would say wahoo or blue fish of around 6lbs. The wind and swell are still here so as for getting out on the boat,who knows, personally i don,t care with sport like that from the shore in 30 degrees and bright sunshine. Beer time now.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Great post again and cant wait to see your pics when you return ...... all the best and hope you get afloat before you leave .... TL chris

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Fantastic fishing:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Glad your having a great time in maderia, I'm fortunate in that my grand parents live in Funchal and can vouch that the the views from the Islands roads are amazing. On one trip over we took a jeep safari around the island and on some of the higher passes we were well above the clouds, it was spectacular and I'd highly recommend it! Another thing I'd recommend while your there is a trip to the nature reserve in the glass bottom boat from Funchal, the nature reserve its self was cracking, loads of fish... Hundreds of triggers, but the best part was when we had a pod of dolphins came around the boat, seeing them swimming under the glass bottom was incredible!

Where abouts are you staying?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad your having a great time in maderia, I'm fortunate in that my grand parents live in Funchal and can vouch that the the views from the Islands roads are amazing. On one trip over we took a jeep safari around the island and on some of the higher passes we were well above the clouds, it was spectacular and I'd highly recommend it! Another thing I'd recommend while your there is a trip to the nature reserve in the glass bottom boat from Funchal, the nature reserve its self was cracking, loads of fish... Hundreds of triggers, but the best part was when we had a pod of dolphins came around the boat, seeing them swimming under the glass bottom was incredible!

Where abouts are you staying?
paul do mar. A small fishing village on the Soth West point. We have already decided this is where we are having our next holiday. Boat trip confirmed for 2pm tmoz ,high tide 7pm. target wahoo and tuna, happy daze

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great post again and cant wait to see your pics when you return ...... all the best and hope you get afloat before you leave .... TL chris
Good news heading out 2pm till 7,seas flattened off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts