World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a mag conversion done on my Diawa Saltiga SA 30.

I went to contact Nigel Firth (reel doc) only to dicover that hes packed up and handed over the business to a chap called Des. I know Nigel used to do a conversion on this reel but Des does not.

Anyone got any ideas where I could get the conversion done?

·
Registered
637 Posts
i didnt know you could mag a slosh with factory parts like that. why dont they sell the reel with mags installed, surely it would take more sales from the penn mags

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seems bit strange to me, would have thought either offer the mag as an option, or even sell the conversion kit over here, got to be a missed opportunity by Daiwa, could/ would be a good seller, might get some shipped over

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I don,t think Daiwa have missed an opportunity as im pretty sure this is not a Daiwa product ,its just an aftermarket add on ,good idea ,but cheaper to add a kit to a standard UK reel,but then you would loose the centrifugal braking .

·
Registered
239 Posts
you can get a mag conversion for a diawa sl20/30.

http://

http://

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Has anyone used the Slosh mag converted reels?
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
239 Posts
havent used the slosh with a conversion, but i have used the speedmaster with a conversion, good set up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Used a SA 30T for three years,centrifugal braked,one block and red rocket fuel.Big baits and good distance with 0.43 line,0.85 leaders .Big seas,in your face winds,200gram leads and large fish baits,Namibia,why change a perfect bit of kit,the mag conversion would not improve the perfect heavy casting surf reel on the market one little bit.Mate uses a maged version and it slow s the reel too much in my humble opinion and loses distance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raptor, I'm sure your right ,problem is the reel I have is not the T version... No breaking of any type. I only use it for uptide work so great distance is not an issue its just my inadequate casting sometimes struggles with a head wind

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry always wondered why he had it magged up,did not know 30 had no brake blocks,still think you could brake it just as well with a thick heavy oil in bearings and slight thumbing they are very smooth and docile reels as your not trying to hit big distance.Mag on his done by Colin? at time cost a tenner,but did little to improve the overall casting security of reel.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Whoa everybody just had a thought ,its a long time since i have looked inside a SL 20/30 but ive just remembered do they not have a composite spool ?? If so there is nothing for the magnets to act on ,unless you fitted a metal plate to the spool maybe Raptor1 thats why your mates reel didn,t seem much slower?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well..... following pointers from someone who had had his reel done, I ordered up a magnet holder from ABU (About £5 with post) did a bit of trimming to the plastic and stuck it in the end cover with 30 minute epoxy. Whole job took less than 30 minutes and works brilliantly.

Sparkling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts