World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when this reel is spun in the normal upright position it runs fine but when tilted to the left theres a knocking coming from somewere. when returned to the upright it stops. i have had this apart loads of times to try to favthom this one out but cant find anything on the left side that could possibly cause this. the only thing that could is on the handle side where the drive cog engages the spool.

have tried adjusting float in different directions and checked the drive cod for signs of it touching, but nothing. it will cast fine as long as i dont tilt it during the cast but i,m stumped:unsure:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
dabcatcher,tiny problems like this are the most annoying, i usually try a process of elimination ,i guess you are a genius when it comes to stripping ABU,s so my advice would be to pull the reel to bits then spin the spool with just the minimum of parts slowly adding bits with the spool and two bearings there will be nothing to cause any noise then start replacing the pinion gear ,mag ring untill the noise re appears ,without handling the reel its hard to guess .You say the noise is when its tilted to the left (mag adjuster side) the weight of the spool is pushed down on to the brass bullet that supports the spindle so really shouldn,t make a difference just check that the hole in the left sideplate that has the chromed housing the bullet sits in is square(90deg) to the sideplate a small knock or drop can bend this and cause spool misalignment ,good look let us know how you get on

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
when this reel is spun in the normal upright position it runs fine but when tilted to the left theres a knocking coming from somewere. when returned to the upright it stops. i have had this apart loads of times to try to favthom this one out but cant find anything on the left side that could possibly cause this. the only thing that could is on the handle side where the drive cog engages the spool.

have tried adjusting float in different directions and checked the drive cod for signs of it touching, but nothing. it will cast fine as long as i dont tilt it during the cast but i,m stumped:unsure:
Had the same problem before....new pinion and CORRECT cog....sorted..

lift the cog out and look very closely at the outside edge or the cogs teeth....they should look like a castles castellations.....if they are slightly curved..then its worn...

These parts cost £2 (ish) each from Peter coogan...and he's probably got them in stock..:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Never had this problem with mine, but have you checked the end float, ie is the spool not centered properly or is there enough slack to allow it to move , a mill or so will give this effect

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Had the same problem before....new pinion and CORRECT cog....sorted..

lift the cog out and look very closely at the outside edge or the cogs teeth....they should look like a castles castellations.....if they are slightly curved..then its worn...

These parts cost £2 (ish) each from Peter coogan...and he's probably got them in stock..:)
I understand what you say about the wear on the pinion gear but in free spool it is no where near the spool so shouldn,t have any effect or cause any noise the freespool release button moves the pinion away from the brakeblock carrier /clutch engagement plate and being worn or not shouldn,t have any effect

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never had this problem with mine, but have you checked the end float, ie is the spool not centered properly or is there enough slack to allow it to move , a mill or so will give this effect
float is spot on.

i have actually stripped these type of reels hundreds of times and even service and set them up for outhers. i,ll have another go when i get home.

let you,s know when i sort it.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I understand what you say about the wear on the pinion gear but in free spool it is no where near the spool so shouldn,t have any effect or cause any noise the freespool release button moves the pinion away from the brakeblock carrier /clutch engagement plate and being worn or not shouldn,t have any effect
If the pinion and main cog don't mesh together exactly the pinion can ride slightly and not disengage precisely.....

Take the handle side off a 6500 that runs sweet ...stick it on and try again then you will know which end the problem lies....but my money is still on pinion and cog...:)
(good problems these ones )

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks for your excellent advise Dinoboy ive just been outside to my bin and tossed all my ABU 6500 ,s away thats just cured all my problems ,thats the great thing about this forum there are so many people willing to give great advise for free

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
might have the sorted problem....

been speaking to a caster friend who at first was also stumped.

what we have come up with is..

the spool i have in this green mag elite is taken from a sunset elite that has the new 6 point breaking system fitted.

the knockng can only be coming from the pinion, so something here is touching.

i always assumed that the spools are intechagable but will now also swap the pinion gear to the one that matched the sunset spool.

never found this problem before but hope the swap solves it.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Thanks for your excellent advise Dinoboy ive just been outside to my bin and tossed all my ABU 6500 ,s away thats just cured all my problems ,thats the great thing about this forum there are so many people willing to give great advise for free
no problem at all mate glad i could help:)

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
found the problem.

the pinion on a florida orange premium is about 1mm smaller than one off a green mag elite. [ i thought they were all the same]

i have now matched the spool, shaft and pinion and it runs a dream and quiet.

the silly thing is i have used it like this for 6 months and never noticed the noise while fishing. it was only after stripping and re balancing the reel that i found the fault.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
dabcatcher ,i thought they were all the same as well ,even the same part number however the newer ones have the new six pin brakeblock system is this were the change occured? also which part of the gear is 1mm different and were was it making contact to make the noise? curious in case it pops up again cheers

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
on the new spool with the 6 point braking system, the carrier must stick further from the spool than the original. if you were to hold the two pinnions side by side the part that has the teeth is identical and meshes with the original drive cog fine.
the difference is the part that locates on to the spool. this is approx 1 mm shorter than the original.

it might be that the new one also fits older models but you will have problems fitting the new spool to an old pinnion.

it will cast fine as long as the reel is kept flat but once tilted to the left the slight knocking will occur and actualy slows the reel.

the amout of touching you get is only a tiny fraction and i,d say a touch with a file would sort it if needed

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks for that explanation so just the latest spools/brakeblock carriers will cause this slight catching when mixed with the old parts glad you got it sorted ,have you found the new spool to be an improvement and six blocks sounds a bit overkill i tend to use one of the tiniest fibre blocks

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i never use brakes in any of my mag reels whether abu or penn. the six pin ones are clipped back out of the way.
i prefer to use 90 grade gear box oil in my bearings. they still run too fast on occasions.

i havnt noticed any difference with the spool but i dont tournament cast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts