World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Magazine Competitions

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Stores 
#1 ·
Has anyone else won a prize from a Fishing Magazine and not received it? I won letter of the month in BFM back in August last year and despite contacting them several times I have still not received it.

Is this common or just my luck?

G
#6 ·
Just saw the letter Chris. The prize was some Fishtek lures but Jim is going to try and send you a reel instead I believe as the lures have all gone. Apparently there have been a few admin cockups as Lockstock says. Jim was also on holiday for 3 months and has just got back. His email address has also changed but not been updated in the mag. Hope you are happy with the result.:)

#12 ·
i once won a coleman powerhouse lamp in sea angler. [readers tips] after a few months with no return they said they were waiting for them.
so i contacted, coleman who didnt even know they were putting up the prize. after showing them the mag it was in they honoured it and sent one straight out.

other stuff though has come with no probs.

#13 ·
Kind of related.

Had the pleasure of catching an 8lb+ Bass off of the shore last May, so put a claim in to Sea Angler for my specimen badge and free cap.

Waited, and waited and waited. In the end it turned up in August. The cap was fine, but imagine my suprise to see I had got a specimen Bream badge.

Finally got around to returning it in November, asking for my Bass one. Which finally arrived at the start of last month.

Still, it was for free I suppose!

#16 ·
you need to send of a SAE with stamp on it for the badge and 2 first class stamps for the cap.
sent mine off last week but dont expect to get anything for a month or 2.

i,ve had a few and it can take a couple of months.

it says they wont be sent out until after it has appeared in the mag.

#17 ·
you need to send of a SAE with stamp on it for the badge and 2 first class stamps for the cap.

True, wasn't concerned about the initial wait, it was the wrong badge appearing and another log wait to receive the proper one that made me chuckle

#20 ·
I phoned both Sea Angler and TSF and asked if they would review my book. They both said yes so they both got a copy. One did, the other didn't but no sign of the book coming back (surprise surprise). Feel a bit childish phoning them up though. Suppose that's what they're hoping for....

#21 ·
I phoned both Sea Angler and TSF and asked if they would review my book. They both said yes so they both got a copy. One did, the other didn't but no sign of the book coming back (surprise surprise). Feel a bit childish phoning them up though. Suppose that's what they're hoping for....
When tackle manufacturers send kit out to the mags for review, they dont expect to get it back!!! Did you advise them that you wanted it back? Did it sell that well that you desperately needed the 2 copies so you would hit the top of the best-sellers list?
I think its incredible that you would send them a book in order to get a free advert ( cos that what a review is after all) and then expect them to send it back. Get a life.

Bill

#22 ·
Conofisher, I believe you have misread the post, hence your somewhat inappropriate comments. Let me recap - I contacted both Sea Angler and TSF and asked if they wanted to review my book. Both said yes (no hard sell there) Sea Angler then did review the book and TSF did not. As I have sent copies of the book to a number of outlets AND donated them as prizes to a number of internet sites (including this one) your comments are rather misplaced. I feel justified in feeling aggrieved if I send a copy of the book to anyone who then ignores it but keeps it. I don't know if you have any knowledge of the process of getting a book published but the cost runs into thousands of pounds. I stand or fall on the quality of any review but to get NO review disappoints. To then be told to "get a life" to me further misrepresents the balance of magazine / client, from whence this thread began.

#26 ·

I did, still aint got nowhere to stick the badge so I wasn't that boffered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.