World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi fished maggy lane last night ,a lot of other anglers there because of the weather,a few small smuts caught in the 2-4lb range and lots of pout hopfully the weather will be better next week,im going topeing monday on a charter so i hope they are feeding .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello cabby, newbie here. Looks like I'm local to you - I've fished maggy lane many times - nowt but pout (sometimes bags of them). I tend to go to Lepe more often, tons of baby bass and sometimes a decent flounder or two. Tried Lepe last bank hol weekend, over night: got two microscopic bass and caffeine poisoning for my trouble! Do you have any local advice to share with an occasional shore fisher who wants to go for decent bass....venues, baits, tactics? I nearly always use rag from Poingdestres, sometimes mackerel....all to no avail. Hope you can help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello hook,dont tend to fish southampton waters much apart from maggy lane now and again when the weathers bad,i can tell you a bit about pompey,if you want, i have never fished lepe whats it like

·
Registered
13 Posts
Att: Hookless

Many marks not far from you around southampton. Calshot can be good for allsorts, As you said Lepe. Flounder alsorts from western shore.

But sod them at the moment head down towards Lymington near Bucklers hard a place called Sowley for the Smutts. it's been fishing good the last month. Had a 10lb+ and my mate a 16lb last week.

Best place for bait and advise on where locally is fishing good and what baits to use. Pop into Bells of Hythe (in Hythe) down the road from Maggy lane. or www.bellsofhythe.co.uk

If you don't mind a drive i head west not east - Lulworth, Worbarrow Bay, Portland, Chesil, West Bexington, Burton Bradstock, Seatown. Not that long a drive, and some great easy access marks for a all night or weekend session.

Hope this is of help

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Cabby, Steve. Surely looks like its smut season - never caught one myself.
I've never fished Pompey, but a mate has had multiple 3 + 4lb bass in the harbour (Victoria Pier area?). Will have to give it a try. Likewise I've never ventured much further west, altho' nearly tried the sea wall between Lymington & Milford the other weekend, but chose Lepe instead. Lepe is OK though not spectacular in my experience (but I'm of limited knowhow fishing-wise anyway). I usually pick a spot anywhere between the carpark and eastward towards the point. Had plenty of pout and stacks of the baby bass, as well as the odd flounder. Very shallow waters, though.
Got booted-off Calshot this time last summer - didn't realise its a private club beach! I tried pleading plus mild bribery but The Man wasn't having any of it! Far too many boats and swimmers to move along westward. Places I've also considered but not tried are Hythe - off the marina carpark, or Shore Road which has been recommended by a few folk; and Weston Shore of course.
Being of limited knowledge I routinely use a running ledger rig, size 2/0 Aberdeen baited with rag, but am probably going to give peeler or squid a shot in the coming weeks. Tips are most welcome.
Cheers guys, all the best,
Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts