World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>
&nbsp;With an effortless flick of the wrist the tackle was sent soaring over the horizon (or 150 yards etc.,). An extract typical of magazine tests of rods.How do they know how far they have &nbsp;cast.It,s like a car test saying it went ever so fast.Pointless I say. Mustn&#39;t upset the tackle supplier or they won&#39;t provide more tackle for testing.I have read the books and articles and studied the videos but still cannot break 70 MEASURED yards.Properly measured with a a tape not paced out which is inaccurate. This is with a 5 oz weight.I only have a budget rod but how do I know what to buy to help me gain distance with pointless rod tests. &nbsp;Has anyone else gained dramatic distances simply by changing their rod,if so what is it ? How far do others cast -properly measured not guesstimated ?
</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>its not the rod that casts its the caster

most rods are capable of at least 150yds</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Professor,

Might I suggest that you contact the Sea Angler mag. and ask them to give you the name of your nearest &#39;Casting Instructor&#39;.

For a nominal sum he will guide you through a session which will guarantee you at least another 50yds on your cast.

Best of luck

Drew</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000080'>I used to do a lot of shooting and obviously distance is critical.
What I found best is to pace a measured distance (I did 50yds) at least 20 times counting the paces, thats normal walking paces, then take the average number of paces for the given distance. I take 55 paces to cover 50 yds this is always accurate to within a foot or two.

Casting is down to good technique and PRACTICE. When I lived on the east coast and distance was important I could cast 120yds with a fibre glass Diawa moonraker(the first model). But I used to practice on a grass field. Now i live on the south coast and dont practice, I bet im getting the same or slightly less distance with supposedly much better &nbsp;quality gear.
cheers
Al.</font>

·
Registered
754 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i used to struggle with the usual overhead thump - until i was shown the "unicast" now i can hit the 100 most of the time. I use a slosh 20 on a 13&#39;sandstorm and a shakespear xk400 (with the level wind removed) on a ron thompson cheapie and i must say - i do better with the cheap gear.
Whereabouts are you - there must be someone near who can give you tips</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>Thanks guys, must get some tuition. I realise that any rod test depends on the caster where distance is considered.I read once that somebody cast 200 yards with a broomstick.Upper arm strength is important ,some tournament casters have biceps like my thigh muscles. I never could throw a cricket ball in from the boundary,embarrassing.Interesting comment about cheap gear being effective.I wonder if some people are laying out up to 300 smackeroonies for little return. Still doesn&#39;t change my opinion about the magazine rod tests - give us data not opinions ,if you are on a beach casting out to sea to test a rod why not cast along the beach and measure the distance. No excuses about beaches being too crowded Biggest problem is how to standardise the casting as the tester may be different.Car mags have giant comparison tests of half a dozen cars.One person could do all the casting which would give a genuine comparison. To be a true test testers should not know the price of the rods as I have noticed a tendency to them having preconcieved ideas and to #### with faint praise. Can blindfolded people cast successfully ? or blind people ? Perhaps you know of one ? &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000000'>
&nbsp;sorry about the asterisks ,thought that was a word is in standard use in English.For the record the word was d--n
</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font color='#000000'>Immediate regrets and sincere apologies for thoughtless,patronising and condescending comments re. suggestion on visually impaired casting abilities.Unforgivable but I hope you will.And they wouldn&#39;t let through d--n &#33;&#33;&#33;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font color='#000000'>Thinking back on a recent Mackerel bashing trip to the Chesil Beach the Mackerel were not too plentiful and most people were giving their tackle some "welly" to get out as far as possible.I took a breather now and then ( I am 64) &nbsp;and &nbsp;counted the number and length of the rod "Mackerel retrieves" of the more consistently successful thinking distance might be the reason for this and came to the conclusion I am about average by this admittedly crude measurement. Food for thought &#33;</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Magazine rod tests are not to be trusted for one simple reason. The rods are supplied by the magazines most lucrative advertisers. Witness Sea Angler&#39;s fixation with Penn. Frequently the testers themselves are consultants for the firm whose rods they are testing. Just about every article these days seems to end with a plug and contact details for some commercial enterprise or other. Impartial advice? B*ll*c*s.
Another point is that whoever tests the rod, they are not you&#33; No two anglers are exactly alike in build, technique etc. Sadly the only way to gauge a rod&#39;s performance is to use it. Posh fly rods can usually be tested before buying. If I&#39;m considering forking out for a posh beachcaster I&#39;d like the same treatment please. Or are sea anglers too common? Still, its up too us. If we don&#39;t complain then the attitude of the industry will not change. Besides its da*n good for rod manufacturers if we fork out for rods based on misleading hype which then turn out to be unsuitable. Coz then you have to buy another.......</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Fishingrhod,

Well spoken, for years Sea Angler magazine has been supportive of Penn. Not only that, I am sure that Penn must pay for, or contribute to most of the advertisements from some dealers that appear in the mags., not just Sea Angler but Total Sea Fishing also. Have a look at the Veals - Tony&#39;s - Southend ads. plus many more, and you will find that they are promoting mostly Penn products.

Cheap American rubbish.

I for one refuse to purchase anything that has a Penn name on it as a matter of principle.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Drew</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts