World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had another trip out today on Maggie May today ,we started out at 8am ........it should have been 7.30 but other party failed to turn up on time, we only had 3 on board ...the plan was to just fish close in for a few hours ......well just as we got past the head land John got a call to say the other 6 people were waiting at the marina to start fishing ,so we turned around and headed back to pick them up .....so this took a little extra time , well after every one was on board ........finaly ,we set out to get some fresh mackerel for bait.....as you do ,and it was not long before we filled the fish box .
Having set out to the ling ground, it was not long untill the first ling came aboard ............and yes it was mine , only a small one of 6lb, but a ling , then there we a few more comming in , but the cod were in very short supply , it was not untill John the skipper got his rod out that the first cod came on board .....around 4-5lb, then I got my first and only cod of the day 4lb......
Then the first pollock was caught ( 5lb 4oz) then another , then another , all around the 4-5lb mark.
There was the odd coaly caught ,around the 2lb mark .
We were plagued with the dreded whities for most of the day , and a few billet were caught.
The methods used today were , mackerel ,worm,shads,jiggers,hokkie,pirks,squid, (all pollock were caught on tiger shads) .

JUST A WORD ABOUT BOOKING BOATS .......WHICHEVER BOAT YOU BOOK PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CONTACT THE SKIPPER THE NIGHT BEFORE TO CONFIRM SAILING TIMES AND WEATHER CONDITIONS.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Looks like you had a pretty good day with plenty of sport Brian. Bet John was pleased to see that party turn up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Went off Hartlepool the day before, the wind was a bit pesky, so stayed close to hartlepool (we were only in brothers small boat) anyway, i tried a shad for the first time rock hopping - it was a slow day, a few whities until BANG - a 8lb Cod inhaled this shad - members on this forum gave me sound advice as to there use, and i am now converted (best Cod of the day on would you believe - a rubber fish!)

(4 inch - blue)

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went off Hartlepool the day before, the wind was a bit pesky, so stayed close to hartlepool (we were only in brothers small boat) anyway, i tried a shad for the first time rock hopping - it was a slow day, a few whities until BANG - a 8lb Cod inhaled this shad - members on this forum gave me sound advice as to there use, and i am now converted (best Cod of the day on would you believe - a rubber fish!)

(4 inch - blue)

Thanks for the advice
It`s definatally the way forward in our waters Stephen ...........they seen to work great of shore..........especially the blue shads for some reason.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Nice one Steve, i always start with Shads now & keep at it until the bait boys prove im wrong. Last 3 trips have been an eye opener.

(4 inch - blue)

Thanks for the advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts