World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Daiwa magnofuge braking system a new concept or is it similar to the Abu 6500GR from the mid 80's?

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
dont know but i will be getting a pair of them at the end of the month:victory:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Is the Daiwa magnofuge braking system a new concept or is it similar to the Abu 6500GR from the mid 80's?
Yes new concept in beach reels but i think Daiwa may have used on it on smaller baitcaster,it is a modern version of the old Daiwa PMF55/57 available in the 1980,s daiwa used a metal drum fixed to the spool that ran between two rings of small magnets if the rings were lined up you had max braking by adjusting them you could turn the braking to zero,ish the new system uses the two mag rings again but <and this is the clever bit the drum is thrown into the gapp between the rings by centrifugal force it then springs back as the revs decrease so the braking is only applied at high revs .It seems to work but ive often found that more braking is needed when ive been gently lobbing baits than when flat out max distance is needed ,i dare say that the Daiwa engineers and Mr Kerry know exactly whats needed and it looks a great practical solution.The 6500GR system was completely different the mag ring was spring loaded and as the braking got more intense due to a higher speed the mags moved away from the spool the setting on the rim only applied pressure to a spring that made the ring harder to move by magnetic friction when the spool was spinning ,it also worked well but seemed let down by the gold cages that crumbled away in salt water and the plastic/graphite end plates that didn,t seem rigid enough nad let the spool rub in the cage under pressure

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Spot-on answer!
ptr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts