World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Morbihan early in the summer and heard that one of the local lure anglers has caught a 'maigre' of around 25 lb on a Rapala, not far from where I had been wasting my time catching tiny bream. There were reports also that this fish has been returning earlier and in large numbers this year further south (Gironde area). I was wondering - do these other turn up in the UK? Magnificent looking fish, can grow up to 100 lb - and also known as drum, croaker, salmonbass (Wikipedia). Any one ever seen one?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi ,

I've been fishing in Bretagne (south/west Finistère) every summer holiday for about 10 or 12 years , and althought i've heard of a few maigres caught in the bay of Douarnenez , i've never seen one that high up north . As far as i know , regular catches start under the Loire estuary .
Oh , and you're right : absolutely magnificent fish !

Gert

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi i think you will find that the meagre is the same or very simila tothe casava caught in gambia and the kob caught in namibia and south africa .
A fantastic fish when first caught it is a pinkish silver , i have seen one of over 100lb caught in a competition on a south african beach they are my favorite fish by far, also the best taisting fish i have ever eaten,oh by the way the south africans always release the big ones .cheers colin

·
Registered
785 Posts
Corvina in Spanish and the glory of the Straights of Gib and the Algarve. Didn't think they came that far north, having said that, a few anjovas or bluefish were caught on the Spanish Cantabrian coast last summer, and that's just a bit further across the Bay of Biscay (Vizcaya).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone know anything about lure fishing in Brittany? Are there Pollack down there ? What's it like for lure fishing in general ? What is the best part of Brittany for sea angling from the rocks ?

Any info' re sea angling in Brittany would be great.

Thanks !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.