World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do any of you use mail order bait companies, Problem I find the with bait I get from local fishing shops is that it seems old rag half dead, sandeel like they have been frozen more than once etc.. I sometimes get bait from angling shops miles away and am always more impressed by its freshness.

I am thinking about trying a mail order mail company, not sure if you can get more than just frozen bait? Any one know anything about this.

Also with the frozen bait how do they ensure it reaches you ok.

Also with sandeels I normally get frozen from tackle shop which are brown backed but in the past from other tackle shops they have been green backed and much better quality, is this to do with freshness or is it a different type of sandeel?

Thanks

James :eek:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Whenever I purchase bait from a tackle dealer I always open it and inspect it before paying.

On countless occasions whilst on holiday I have purchased bait already neatly wrapped in newspaper only to find that it is next to useless. I am sure that they keep this rubbish for holidaymakers.

The tackle dealers who operate near marinas are notorious for this, so in future, always check your purchases before leaving the shop.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Drew,

Problem is that the worst bait I have bought recently has been from my local tackel shop who seem to be only interested in carp anglers and seem to neglect the sea stuff although we are on the coast..

Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
im a newb at this beach fishing,but my local tackle shop always shows me the bait and asks if it ok before he wraps it up.mind you i aint got a clue wheather its good or bad but makes me feel better.

Dennings tackle-portland road.

sorry about that had to put that in,as they always have time to stop what there doing and give advice no matter who you are.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
dennings is a great shop for any tackle and bait. they will try and help any angler out if they can. if you are miles away and ring an order in they will keep bait back for you even in the there best fishing seasons.

my local tackle shop the "poole sea angling centre" has the rag on the counter so you can see it before you buy it.

Michael :)

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
JAMESMACINTYRE said:
Problem is that the worst bait I have bought recently has been from my local tackel shop who seem to be only interested in carp anglers and seem to neglect the sea stuff although we are on the coast..
Sorry to hear your local tackle shop is crap.
I am lucky where I am the local shop is great for all sorts of bait and advice

Try these if you can't get any joy
http://www.seabait.com
http://www.baitsdirect.com

·
Registered
235 Posts
well i do have to say the shop i use has never sold me any crap bait i phone in my orders he outs it on one side and shows you it before wrapping it top shop

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
My local shop always shows me the fresh bait before wrapping and allows the customer to pick his own crabs.I have never had any problems except when they had a young boy start and after picking out a dozen or so nice poppers ready for the night tide he carefully placed them in the bag covered them with wet newspaper and then set about sorting out my worm order .as the crab bag was on the counter where he weighes the worm he picked them up and much to my dissmay promtly dropped them the 3ft to the floor crushing three of them :eek: ,they were replaced and a laugh at his expense ensued :) (you live and learn).
My bro ( mr moderator marcus purple hippo) seems to have a problem with his shop as the rag he gets only have the lifespan of a fairground goldfish :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts