World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads,have any of you checked out this months VEALS MAIL ORDER CATALOGUE?
I have ordered a Penn Surfblaster Sea-trek Twin Tip 12 ft beachcaster.Its a three piece rod with an extra tip as well.One tip for improved bite detection, and a stiffer tip for rough ground fishing.
Best of all though is that you get a 525 Supermag FREE!
All this for £175 nikker.
Has anyone else got this rod as i would like to hear about its overall use-a-bility.
thanx
JAY

PS. I'm sitting at home watching the road waiting,just waiting for it to arrive.
SAD AINT IT?

·
Registered
38 Posts
A long time ago (About a year) the rod you just bought was called the Voyager or the V3.

I got two of them on a Buy one get one free deal. They are very good all round fishing rods. Don't expect it to win you any casting competitions but you should get 150 yards if you are good enough. Don't expect it to be as good at rough stuff as the rod in the same range called "Rough stuff" or the RT accelerator.

But for slipping in the boot of your car and general purpose fishing they are great. Bite detection is excellent on both tips. The range of lead you can cast with them also very good. I use them with as low as 2oz for spinning jelly worms and up to 6oz with large mackerel baits for normal fishing. You can use it as a flattie rod, a bass rod or a normal beachcaster.

I use mine with either the 525GS or a SLosh30 with 30lb line and they are really good "Fishing rods".

I have one gripe. When out fishing and the rod is on your tripod you still have a tip in the rod bag so make sure you put it out of the way so it doesn't get trodden on by you or passers by.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
taffy jay said:
PS. I'm sitting at home watching the road waiting,just waiting for it to arrive.
SAD AINT IT?
Hi Taffy,

While you are sitting at home waiting for for your goods to arrive, have an extra think about what you are getting for your money!!!

By the way, Southend angling are doing the same deal for £165

In this day and age YOU MUST PAY FOR EVERYTHING. A Penn 525 Super Mag retails at about £125 which puts your rod at £50. On the other hand your rod is costing £175 and your reel is free? A present of £125???

This is typical of Penn, getting rid of their rubbish by a sales ploy. To buy the rod on its own, the cost is £75. However by buying it with a reel the cost drops by £25, but they are selling you a rod and reel. A reasonably good reel but with a rod that they cannot sell. It already has been on sale under another name.

I have worked out these "Combo" prices for years and I can assure you the only deal that is done is that you are being forced into buying Penn rubbish.

Have a good think about it. It is called Brainwashing.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
158 Posts
You really don't like penn do you Drew have read a few post's and whenever they mention the word penn you break into a rant having never used penn would'nt know.The only reels i have ever owned have been Mitchell,Abu,Dam and shaekspear.Have only ever seen a penn on ebay it looked ok but a bit plasticy.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Dunce,

Their marketing methods are the pits, you only have to look at their advertisements in the magazines. Every retailer has the same adverts, "Buy one get one free" As I have already stated time and time again "what are you getting free"? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I could go on and on all day about their sales techniques but I will save you from my gripes. It is up to the members themselves to see through their devious methods.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Drew.

I agree that Penn's marketing can be a bit daft but they are a company trying to sell things. I think most people are adult enough to add the following:

reel £125 + rod £75 = £200 so if you buy them together you get a small discount and not as the add says, a free reel.

I do disagree with you on your remark "getting rid of their rubbish". If Penn couldn't sell this rod why did Penn not drop it from the range when they relaunched them. There is a market for 3pc rods and this is as good as they come unless you go for the Nomad or Jetstream.

The Seatrek twin / Voyager / V3 is a very nice mid ranged 3 piece stiff but all round fishing rod with an extra tip that extends the range of fishing situations that it can cope with, from extremely clean and shallow beaches fishing for Dabs right up to full blown pendulum casting with a 6oz lead for Cod or just about anything we can catch from the shore in this country. With the added advantages of being about 4ft long when packed in its bag and you can hold it in your hands all day long in surf.

I live on a small island with 50 miles of coastline ranging from impressive rock marks to very clean beaches and apart from very extreme casting this rod does everything I will ever need.

I know we all have different tastes when it comes to rods and reels but have you ever fished with one?

Bob

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Leaving aside their dubious marketing methods can anyone tell me if the gear is any good or not I have a devilstick beachcaster, uptider and a sea spin rod all bought as combos with various penn reels the whole lot came to less than £120 the beachcaster is fine but I dropped it and broke all the rings(now replaced), the uptider lost the last 6 inches of the tip when one of my kids stood on it in the back of the car but until then I really liked it for fishing close on the beach and the spinning rod is lovely-perhaps my favourite its nice and light and I use it for ledgering small baits and weights-because its so light even a 1lb Whiting puts up a great fight. What I'd like to know is if I upgraded to a surfblaster or PPT combo is the equipment any good?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am very happy with my Penn combo, the rod is a 13' Villain, and the reel is a 525 mag. I have had no trouble with either piece of kit. The coastal reel seat is terrific, and the 525 mag has improved my casting over my old Abu reel.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts