World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

WSF Primary Administrator.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want a new one of these as am struggling with my wrist and forearm and need the light weight.

Anyone know who may have one in stock as they seem all sold out???

May have to drop down to the 8'8" length which are available.

Registered
put a counter weight to the butt end to balance your rod : it will be perfect ! give it a try ;)
i did this years ago because i had severe epicondylitis => no more worries

adjust the weight to get the "angle" you want your rod laying in your hand (for me it's about 35/40掳) , get your hand on the front foregrip or just put your little finger behing the reel stem once at the water front , depending the lure you use

this way , you can use a light reel ( 200/240 gr) , the counterweight will be between 40 and 80 gr depending of the rod (brand-lenght-power) but you won't feel it
the shorter the rod , less weight will be add

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
put a counter weight to the butt end to balance your rod : it will be perfect ! give it a try ;)
My rods are Century mate and with weights 馃槈馃槈馃槈

Registered
ok , depends the amount weight and where the balance point is
here is a pic from a set up , you will see the arrow wich is the best place for me ( the place for my index)

PA080157.JPG

does yours hold on the same place or further out near the tip ?

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok , depends the amount weight and where the balance point is
here is a pic from a set up , you will see the arrow wich is the best place for me ( the place for my index)

View attachment 1369484

does yours hold on the same place or further out near the tip ?
With all the weights on the tip pops up on my HPR.

Thing is with the counterbalance, the weight is still there.

I had a play with the 9'6" models and it was very light.

Registered
exact, the weight is still there but due to the good balance, there is no more tension in the wrist and forearm
of course , a lighter set up will aid better

i cured my elbow problems on my own with : ice (4-5 x/day to diminish pain) , poultice with green clay (for the night)
another good way is mesotherapy injections ( tiny needle , you are just feeling "nettle sting" )

now , since a decade : no more problems and i got back to sport(weight lifting)

Registered
Lot of these modern lure rods are a classic case of form before function. Handles are far too short and appear to be designed for single handed use that you can just about use with both hands. Balancing it all is always a good idea but having been lucky enough to play some large fish on both fly and spinning gear I would not enjoy doing it with some of the gear I have now.
I would say it's the other way about. These rods are designed to punt small lures a long way and that requires tip speed. The shorter butt to reel means less distance travelled at the butt to generate x amount of tip speed. It's definitely a compromise on the fish playing side but in order to play them first you have to hook them.

Let's face it, in the wildest dreams of UK anglers the biggest fish we are ever going to see on lures from the shore are sub 20lb so we aren't exactly pushed on our lure gear to land them. The terrain we are fishing over is usually the deciding factor on gear choice (for me anyway), not the size of the fish.

I've landed Salmon over 10lbs on 3lb line on stick float gear, never felt the fish overwhelmed the gear.
SD

Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say it's the other way about. These rods are designed to punt small lures a long way and that requires tip speed. The shorter butt to reel means less distance travelled at the butt to generate x amount of tip speed. It's definitely a compromise on the fish playing side but in order to play them first you have to hook them.

Let's face it, in the wildest dreams of UK anglers the biggest fish we are ever going to see on lures from the shore are sub 20lb so we aren't exactly pushed on our lure gear to land them. The terrain we are fishing over is usually the deciding factor on gear choice (for me anyway), not the size of the fish.

I've landed Salmon over 10lbs on 3lb line on stick float gear, never felt the fish overwhelmed the gear.
SD
Great post mate馃憤

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Casting small lures a long way is more about loading the blank and how fast the blank recovers.
It's a combination of both Alan mate馃憤

Registered
Tip speed? You can generate the same tip speed with a 9' broom handle. Casting small lures a long way is more about loading the blank and how fast the blank recovers. Too light a lure and you can't load the rod no matter how hard you thrash away, too heavy a lure and the blank recovery will be slower or end up in pieces. If the handle length did not matter then try whacking a 6 ounce lead on a Zippy with your hands 15" apart. Correct handle length is a function of the weight you are going to cast, the lighter the lure the shorter the handle length. What you have missed is that it is easier to work lures with a shorter handle, personally I have no problem either way but I see the point.
As always the tackle you use in the UK is dictated mostly by where the fish are and what you are using as a lure.
Sure you can catch large fish on light balanced tackle always could.
To be fair this being a fishing forum i took it for granted the correlation between tip speed on similarly rated lure rods and blank loading performance would be a given. The further your hands are apart on any rod, including a broom handle, the longer it will take to reach the maximum tip speed you can generate(the biggest factor is always the individual angler). When increasing casting weights the loading and timing is different, hence different rod required. The same could be applied in reverse, you ain't chucking a 10 gram lure far with a zippy fitted with a multi or big fixed spool no matter what distance your hands are apart. This is all imo and just the way i look at things.

There are multiple ways to skin a cat in the fishing world, there isn't much that can be nailed down to right or wrong/black/white etc.
SD

Registered
Lot of these modern lure rods are a classic case of form before function. Handles are far too short and appear to be designed for single handed use that you can just about use with both hands. Balancing it all is always a good idea but having been lucky enough to play some large fish on both fly and spinning gear I would not enjoy doing it with some of the gear I have now.
Why would you even post this ? The question was about a modern lure rod if you dont like them then that's your opinion but a totally pointless reply. Plenty of people do like them and for good reason but if your going to compare it to casting 6oz leads stick to the beach casting page

1 - 20 of 32 Posts