World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Major sewage spill in Firth of Forth

2K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  101_North 
#1 ·
from BBC;
Warning over 'major' sewage spill

People using the waterfront are urged to take precautions
The public has been warned to avoid contact with water in the Firth of Forth after a "major" sewage spill.
Pumping equipment at the Seafield Wastewater Treatment Plant in Leith failed at 1630 BST on Friday.

A spokeswoman for Thames Water, which runs the plant, said 1,000 litres a second of partially diluted untreated sewage had been pumping into the Forth.

The Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (Sepa) said: "It's a major problem requiring a major solution."

A spokesman said emergency measures to "minimize the risk of pollution" were being put in place.

He added: "Everything that needs to be done is being done."

We urge people to ensure they maintain high standards of personal hygiene and do not take anything home from the beach until sewage has dispersed

Ewan Aitken
Edinburgh Council leader

Engineering works were expected to continue throughout the weekend.

Thames Water said it had not shut the plant down as it deals with most of the capital's waste - from about 800,000 people.

Environmental health officers with Edinburgh City Council advised anyone who uses waterfront recreational areas to avoid contact with the water.

The council said it was very concerned about the incident.

Council leader Ewan Aitken said: "We urge people to ensure they maintain high standards of personal hygiene and do not take anything home from the beach until sewage has dispersed."

The council has put up warning notices along the shore in areas which may potentially be affected to warn residents and visitors.

Concerned locals are being advised to contact the environmental health service.

See less See more
#7 ·
was down on ravensgraig beach on Friday and the stink was horrendous !!! i thought it was coming from our local sewage works as well lol :yucky:

Mark

#19 ·
do you think this will stop the morons taking the under sized bass from cockenzie an torness ??????:giveup: :giveup: ...would,nt hold my breath:yucky: :yucky:

#20 ·
At least the Scots are getting their own back.
I hope this costs Thames a fortune so that they will have to give a sh*t at last.
As a result of this perhaps more bodies responsible for sewage disposal will have to develop a Plan B which does not involve dumping their sewage into the rivers / sea every time it rains or have a mechanical break down

#21 ·
Not done the fishing any harm anyway. Had 5 codling to 2 and a half pound tonight + 1 small saithe. All codling over a pound, bar 1. Nice to get a visit from diamond dave as well.
I truly hope this sewage spill wont do too much harm, and everything soon back to normal.
I will be scoffing one of my fish soon so wish me luck (well somebody has too).

Water was very clear tonight and looked no different to any other night so lets hope it stays that way....:)

#23 ·
Findus

Were you at the B/island breakwater last night? Tried it on saturday but after about 40 minutes my son decided he wanted to go swimming. Thankfully NOT in the Forth. We packed up and went over to the pool only to be informed that it was closing for the dive club! :blink: The only fish we caught that night was a couple of cod from Romanos in the High St. :unsure:

Blenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.