World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>How often is the answer to the most asked question in sea fishing &nbsp;"No but I&#39;ve had a few knocks" which is translated as failed to hook. Why do we not use treble hooks.Objections might be that they are more difficult to disgorge or perhaps it just seems vaguely unsporting.But these objections are just as valid for spinning lures which have trebles fitted as standard &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>I have been known to replace trebles with single hooks on spinners - sure helps if you intend to return the fish.

As for trebles on &#39;normal&#39; rigs.... (a) unsporting IMHA and (b) blinkin&#39; hard to thread a worm on &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Professor,

Rubbish&#33;&#33;&#33; Have you ever gone Black Bream Fishing? You can get knocks all day without a fish taking the hook. As for trebles, they should be banned, just a waste of time.

Cheers

Drew</font>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Haven&#39;t tried them at sea but they certainly work for pike fishing and there are few anglers who respect and look after their fish better than pike anglers.
May be some situations where they would be useful but as in pike fishing, don&#39;t let the fish gorge the bait and carry long nosed forceps for hook removal.</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>I suppose a fish chasing a lure is less likely to take it down the gullet and cause problems in disgorging.</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>Hi Drew, I think getting knocks all day and not catching rather proves my point. I find this unacceptable,at my age I will not waste my time &nbsp;or £40 quid a boat trip with a technique &nbsp;that you admit does not work and would want to do something about it not just carry on failing. You dismiss trebles-is this based on experience ? At least you might foul hook one - like goals in football they all count.Above my work place I had a card saying "No preconceived ideas". Go on,try some trebles and report back.</font>

T

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>ive only used them for catching sprats for maccys or maccys themselfs</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Professor,

I notice that you have declined to complete your profile in full, is there something that you are hiding from us? Age, interests, your location? What is your name?

Do you target a certain species of fish or are you an over the side and take what&#39;s there fisherman? And most important of all have you ever fished for Black Bream?

My comments were solely referring to Black Bream. Much as I would like, I have never seen a video or film on how fish feed. As an experienced sea angler of over 50 years standing, I have learned that different fish feed in different ways, as do humans - some gulp there food, others suck and some tear there food and so on. I have no doubt that you as your name suggests will know.

As I have already stated I have never seen fish in the sea feeding, therefore by experience only I assume that Black Bream are suckers, i.e. by the action of my rod. Unlike Mackerel who devour anything by sight and who are so stupid that they will even take a silver hook with no food attached, Black Bream are fussy feeders. They play around with their food for quite a while causing the rod tip to knock. This is in know way a Failed to Hook. When I have a fish on the hook, which I loose on the way up for some reason or another, is, in my opinion a Fail to hook. When you wind up and find your hooked stripped of bait, and you haven&#39;t even seen your rod tip move, would you call that a Fail to Hook? Or would you say that you were blind? because you never saw your tip move&#33;

This is what fishing is all about, spending £40 on a trip and blanking, or on the other hand arriving home with a few for the freezer. Either way it is the love of my life (other than my good lady). Where do you fish for £40 pounds. I pay £60 for deep sea wrecking for Cod etc. and £50 for a Bass trip.

Perhaps you might care to explain the technique that does not waste your time. After all that is what this Forum is all about, informing others the methods that work for you.

As you will have read, I live in South Bucks, approximately a 2 hour drive to the nearest fishing port. My favourite area is Christchurch where I do most of my summer fishing. We alternate trips between targeting Cod and Bass and at the end of each trip, an hour or so general fishing for everything and anything. On occasions when the weather is against us we have a Bream day. (which I love)  

I can assure you I have tried trebles on various occasions and found them next to useless. Have you tried threading a worm on them? If they are as good as you say, can you explain that out of all the charter boats that I have fished from over the years, I have only seen them used on perks. And when those using them see the method that my colleagues and I use, the treble is changed immediately. When do you use trebles?

Well enough is enough on this subject, you have your opinion and I have mine. After all this is why I love this Forum. Keeps us all on our hooks.

Cheers,

Drew
</font>

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I fish for bream every year in Cardigan Bay.

If you&#39;re getting lots of rattly bites that tend not to contact, you can be pretty sure the shoal is dominated by immature bream.

Larger fish over 1lb or so, and especially 2lb+ fish, take very hard & positive in my experience. I use a strong sharp Viking pattern hook size 1, on a single-hook flowing paternoster rig. Best baits for these bigger fish are small squid-heads and, surprisingly, mackerel guts and frozen ragworm (this is from experience and some large catches). Why the latter two work so well I&#39;m unsure, except that when they do it&#39;s when the bream are feeding on that brittle red seaweed that you get on reefs hereabouts.

I also fish the local surf beaches a lot and have found that you sometimes get a lot of immature turbot about 6" long. These "knock" a little, but I have learned to avoid hooking them by using baits far too big for them to swallow (but which larger fish if around will gulp down). I don&#39;t want to catch these smaller fish as given a chance they will swallow the hook and are thus damaged. I&#39;d rather blank with a few knocks than hook into a pile of these tiddlers&#33;

Just my thoughts anyway. Cheers - John</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi John,

Many thanks for your comments, when inshore fishing, like yourself I use a single hook flowing paternoster with 1 or 0/1  hook with Squid Head or strips. I find that Mackerel strips can be sucked clean leaving the skin on the hook with no flesh. With the squid you have something to hook on to. I normally tip my squid with a little piece of Mackerel as a tit bit. When I fish off shore I tend to use a one up one down ledger with up to a 0/2 hook. I will give your other advice a try.

Unfortunately my beachcasting trips are few and far between due to my location. However within the next 2 years I hope to move to pastures green.

As a general question, has anyone any information on a video that shows sea fish feeding? There is a series out showing fresh water fish but not to my knowledge sea fish. Thanking you all in anticipation.

Cheers

Drew</font>

B

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Treble hooks what next, very unsporting. &nbsp;I think 3 hooks between 2 rods is enough for most.</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Thread is veering off topic slightly but what the hey, lets push it a bit further :

A trip to the aquarium would be beneficial to witness all aspects of fish behaviour including feeding - would also be a great day out, next best thing to fishing. &nbsp;

I had a trip for cuckoo wrasse yesterday (I like catching them from time to time just to admire the wonderfull colours). &nbsp;Anyway, I had lots of missed bites early on which forced me to change tactics. &nbsp;I eventually ended up using a size 4 hook and a quarter of a sandeel as bait. &nbsp;Proves quite nicely that sometimes you gotta think on your feet and adapt hook and bait sizes. &nbsp;Can&#39;t see that a treble would have helped my cause, apart from perhaps increasing the chances of foul hooking one, but that&#39;s not my definition of fishing.</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font color='#000000'>Just trying to apply science to an art.I am descended from the boy who said the king had no clothes.</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
<font color='#000000'>treble hooks are to big for flatties.and not big enough and strong enough for bigger species like cod</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts