World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soft Plastic lures have brought me great results this year but there is one problem..... they are expensive! I have been aware that the moulds and kits are available to pour your own soft plastic lures for some time so I took the plunge and brought everything i needed to pour my own lure bodies. It is surprisingly easy to do and it will save a lot of money replacing lures that have torn or have been chewed to a rubbery death.

Im sure this topic has been covered many times before on this section of the forum but for those who are unaware and are interested in making their own soft plastics I have put together a tutorial on my blog. Too many photos to put up here so you will have to follow the link if you want to find out more:

http://cornishkayakangler.weebly.com/blog/making-soft-plastic-lures-part-1-split-belly-shad-bodies

Here is the the final product, I'm pretty happy with them. Ive been using them over the last few sessions with great results
Its a great way to spend a few hours when the weather is rubbish too

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just opened up your blog to have a read and saw the first photo on the page.
To say the least, if that is your local area.... I am very jealous ;)
Used to spend 10 weeks a year up the cliff around the next bay on that farm I'm sure you know.
What a magicall part of the world.

Anyway thanks for posting up great read.

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
Excellent tutorial in your blog
Just beware of remelting leftovers that contain the "glitter" the microwave might have a hissy fit!!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Liam, great blog mate and excellent post on those home made splits. Ive been making my own for a while now even before the moulds were available commercially. Personally,and in many respects unfortunately,I find these F.M style lures seem to outfish all others.I cannot explain why.
Anyway, I'm also exploring making jig head moulds using high temp rtv so will be interested to see how you fare and compare notes. My problem is finding the time!
The winds here are howling ,which means I can't get afloat and should be stocking up on lures but, it also means that the surf is up and the bass are hitting the beaches.
Too much fishing to do.........too little time !

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just opened up your blog to have a read and saw the first photo on the page.
To say the least, if that is your local area.... I am very jealous ;)
Used to spend 10 weeks a year up the cliff around the next bay on that farm I'm sure you know.
What a magicall part of the world.

Anyway thanks for posting up great read.
It is my local area, and agreed it is a magical place to be :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liam, great blog mate and excellent post on those home made splits. Ive been making my own for a while now even before the moulds were available commercially. Personally,and in many respects unfortunately,I find these F.M style lures seem to outfish all others.I cannot explain why.
Anyway, I'm also exploring making jig head moulds using high temp rtv so will be interested to see how you fare and compare notes. My problem is finding the time!
The winds here are howling ,which means I can't get afloat and should be stocking up on lures but, it also means that the surf is up and the bass are hitting the beaches.
Too much fishing to do.........too little time !
I have never had much success with soft plastics until i started using FM style lures. They certainly get more interest from the fish over any other SP i have used and that was the reason for pouring my own. The jig head have worked really well. I haven't got around to writing a blog about it yet (lack of time!) but the high temp RTV seems to work a treat :) I managed to sneak a session in Monday during a brief weather window, plenty of fish on the split bellies, nothing of great size but nice to put a bend in the rod after so long! Back to howling winds though now

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I enjoyed reading it,spoiled slightly by the politics,but then I am new to soft lures, having used Rapalas and the occasional Yo_zuri when I can get them.

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
I don't know the history/politics around this little dummy spitting escapade and I'm not interested

I enjoyed your blog CKA thanks for posting

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
59,543 Posts
Soft Plastic lures have brought me great results this year but there is one problem..... they are expensive! I have been aware that the moulds and kits are available to pour your own soft plastic lures for some time so I took the plunge and brought everything i needed to pour my own lure bodies. It is surprisingly easy to do and it will save a lot of money replacing lures that have torn or have been chewed to a rubbery death.

Im sure this topic has been covered many times before on this section of the forum but for those who are unaware and are interested in making their own soft plastics I have put together a tutorial on my blog. Too many photos to put up here so you will have to follow the link if you want to find out more:

http://cornishkayakangler.weebly.com/blog/making-soft-plastic-lures-part-1-split-belly-shad-bodies

Here is the the final product, I'm pretty happy with them. Ive been using them over the last few sessions with great results
Its a great way to spend a few hours when the weather is rubbish too

Welcome to the Lure Fishing Forums :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Interesting info thanks.
Have only just started using FMs and have been surprised about how delicate they are.

Are your versions any more durable?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting info thanks.
Have only just started using FMs and have been surprised about how delicate they are.

Are your versions any more durable?
Thanks for your comment Riffler. The plastisol used to make the ones shown above is available in different grades from super soft (apparently just like the FM plastic) to firm. I used the 'soft' grade and it is a bit firmer than the FM plastic. The Wrasse still shred it to pieces but the pollack don't seem to wreck them so fast. I wouldn't want to use any firmer grade than the soft grade as i reckon the shad would start to lose its life-like action. I must have had 20-25 Pollack and a Ling on one single lure body during the last session and its still good for next time, although a bit rough round the edges. That is with the body superglued to the head though. I have only been using the homemade bodies for 4 sessions though so i may have just got lucky, but so far its looking promising :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts