World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys
i am looking for some advice, i have bought a mould for making lead lures for spinning, i have been advised to add 60 % lead to 40% scrap wheel weights from a tyre dealer , i got a supply of these weights witch were small oblong shaped and i think they are made of zinc oxide (but not at all sure) the problem is i don't know if i am using the right weight's i melted some led along with some of these weights the lead melted no problem but i waited ages for the weights to melt but they never did,( am i using the wrong wheel weights ?) and if these weights are zinc oxide will i be able to melt them at home on a cooker? please advise me what to do. PS the weights are added to make the lures more stronger as ordinary sheet lead or pipe lead on its own is to soft for the lures.
eny advice appreciated. :unsure:

· Registered
61 Posts
Zinc should melt at about 420 degrees C - well within range of any decent burner or cooker - should form a white layer of Zinc oxide (slag) on the top - if I were you don't stir this up to much as it keeps any potentially hazardous zinc oxide fumes from forming - don't do any permanent damage but can make you pretty dizzy and give you serious shakes. As with lead work in a well ventilated area.

Generally (i.e. new eco-friendly lead free) wheel weights are made out of Zinc.

Happy smelting

p.s. Lead melts around 330 degrees C (so will melt long before Zinc)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.