World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 12ft Conoflex Flattie Fanatic, it really is a lovely rod but IMO it would be even better if it were 13ft... Does anybody have any advice on extending it...would it spoil the rod...has anyone on here already done it etc etc , many thanks..!

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
Bunging in a reducer / extension piece could well alter the action and make it a far softer rod to cast.
Best to try before you commit yourself, you may not get on with it.

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave this is what I was wondering, I would be sick if I ruined it, any idea where I might get a reducer for it...get on to Conoflex direct do you think...?
Thanks for your advice.. Cheers Keith

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
If you give Aiden a ring at Conoflex I think he would probably knock one up for you,he has made me a couple of bits, but nothing recently. I do know that there is usually a waiting time for anything like that.
It is quite easy to make a DIY one, I have several that are made from bits of broken rods, I just strip the broken rod, clean it up, and fit it inside the butt section, once it fits,leave about 6 inches or a bit more inside the butt, measure how long you want the extension whilst it is in situ, cut to length, reinforce the innards of the 'new " reducer with another piece of Carbon fibre, or even some Fibreglass from an old rod, and there you have it...I would not bother finishing it off with any varnish, or suchlike until you have tried it out.

I have even made reducers from aluminium tubing that work well enough.

One thing though. I would not think that the end of the rod butt you want the reducer for has any reinforcement built in, and if you just popped in a reducer to try it, it .....may....... split the butt, when you try casting with a reducer in it, it would probably need some whipping up the butt if you will,pardon the expression, to reinforce it , before use.

Hope this makes sense.

Dave.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That all makes perfect sense thank you , certainly sounds like a challenge... The lower butt section is already reinforced as was built to take coasters for the reel low down... I will have a look and see what's what... Many thanks for your time Dave , much appreciated..!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Reducer is the best bet as it won't make the rod too heavy, I've extended all my rods with alloy tubing, it makes them heavier but does nothing to the casting abilities, just makes them longer which is handy when casting long rigs plus keeps the tips higher in rough seas,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great, thanks for your advice... Would definitely help when there is a bit of sea running...sounds like a reducer is definitely the way to go, as said... If I don't get on with it then I haven't ruined a very nice rod... Thanks gents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts