World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to make my own rigs but dont know what i'd need to do it.

I've looked at the ready made rigs and have a basic understanding of how they're made.

I would be making a few different rigs, pulley, pennel, 2 hook flapper, etc.

Is there an idiots guide on how to do it or a list of components needed on here or other sites?

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
thing you need to do, before you start making yr own rigs, is practise yr knots. This, IMO, is the MOST important part of rig making :thumbs:

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
try the gemini link as wooky out up,saves a lot of hassle working out how rigs go together.
also practice your knots as ohter mentioned,they'll nearly always be the weakest link on any rig:thumbs::fishing1:

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey mate, my only real tip would be to keep it simple - because honestly and truely, you don't need to make it complicated. To start making simple rigs I would say just learn one knot - the blood knot. Buy a couple of shop brought rigs - paternoster, flapper etc and just try copying them, to give you an idea of how long the rig should be, etc. And I'd put money on saying that after your first 4 or 5 rigs, you won't need to copy or look at any rig diagrams. And remember to experiment! You'll never buy another rig again. Best of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
m langford 2 advice is spot on .buy some ready made rigs and copy them.learn how to tie the blood knot. my advice would be stay clear of crimps and use silicone sliders they make your rigs so much more ajustable.use good bits such as sakuma or gemini.i found were i bought my first good rigs from actually sell the riight stuff and encourage you to make your own.dont want to get in any rig war but moo- ---e- are the best. hope this helps.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Tam B,

As a starter list of components I would go for...

main body line - 60lb for paternosters / flappers etc and 80lb for pulley rigs
snood line - 30lb amnesia would be a good start
some beads
soft copper crimps (veals mail order own brand are very good)
swivels - small size for snoods and bigger for trace attachment
lead links - avoid american snap swivels for any kind of distance casting
hooks - I use and would recommend Varivas (Veals again)

You can make most rigs with that lot...if you are using worm baits then add a sequin & crimp above your hooks on the snood line to stop the worm sliding up...if you want clipped rigs then the breakaway impact shield is hard to beat...

Cuda

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm going to buy one of each of the made up rigs from Fitzmartyn and copy them.

Check out Moonfleet angling. Top quality rigs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts