World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
In my youth I used the insides of Kinder Eggs (after eating the chocolate and removing the toy obviously ;) ) with the tubes from cotton buds. Have also used Jif lemons (again, after using the lemon juice) - but gave this up after some particularly cruel comments from my angling peers - things like 'what are you fishing for? Pancakes' :D

Now I happily pay for them, but I still sulk when I lose one and it bobs around in front of me, tantalisingly out of reach :(. A landing net would have retrieved many a lost float for me...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Beefcake, I make my own floats, if you come back to this post tomorrow night I'll add a photo of them so you will see how easy it is to make them.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Beefcake, have a look at these floats I make.
What I do is buy 6ft of Balsa wood, cut it into 1ft lengths, use a small knife to shape it then sandpaper it smooth, make a small hole in the bottom for the wire eye, put on 2 coats of undercoat paint, sandpaper it smooth again, then 1 more coat of undercoat, let that dry then give them 2 or 3 coats of gloss paint, when you have done all that you could always give them a coat of Varnish.
It sounds a lot of work but it's worth it in the end.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mikesfishing/Mackerel Floats..jpg

Go make some it's easy :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Manx Fisher said:
I would need counselling if I lost a float after going to all that trouble to make it :D
That's why I make about 8 at a time, :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts