World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi all.

As im a newbie to sea fishing i keep loosing quite a few leads and it might seem to get exspensive, is it worth bying a lead mould kit and making your own??

If it is which one, which companys (multi or single) breakaway and Bomb type.

If it is worth it wheres the bext places to find old lead??

Cheers and Tight-Lines all.

Tim</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>This was a topic I pondered long and hard about for a while. I love fishing from rocks, and losing tackle is part of the teritory so I was keen to make it as painless as possible. &nbsp;I also like to be as self sufficient in my angling as possible - it is one of things I enjoy most about it, IMHA, no it isn&#39;t worth making your own gripleads - for sure others will disagree. &nbsp;

My reasons:

Time: It takes quite a long time to make a few breakout type leads - so much that dare I suggest you would probably be better doing an hours overtime and buying weights with the proceeds...

Quality: Home made leads never quite match the &#39;real&#39; ones - &nbsp;its a right pain trying to get the grip wires just right. &nbsp;

Safety: ANY moisture at all in the mould will result in the heated lead exploding, not a pleasant prospect. &nbsp;Why take a risk for the sake of saving a couple of quid.

Cost: I didn&#39;t think that I would save that much money by making my own when taking everything into consideration: time, moulds, mould grips, safety goggles + gloves, cast iron pan, grip wires, loops etc etc - also I didn&#39;t have a ready supply of free lead...

My solution was to spend the money I would have had to splash out on a mould to buy a couple of hundred direct from breakaway. &nbsp;Worked out at about 65p per grip lead at the time, which I thought was good value and not much more expensive than home made (time consuming and lower quality) leads would have worked out at.

Discuss &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
106 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Yes it is worth it, but only plain leads,.

I make my own boat lead and have two moulds a boat DCA mould to make bell weights from 8 oz to 2 lbs and a DCA mould to make weights from 3 oz to 9 oz, The lead is from old lead piping which I got free.

Next step is to make some pirks has anyone any good ideas?</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

First time poster here&#33; anyway.. like Manx Fisher said, it&#39;s often not much cheaper making your own leads when you consider all the factors such as the gear, a supply of lead, and especially safety.  Lead is a very poisoneous metal and shouldn&#39;t be made in your kitchen&#33;  Lead particles get everywhere.. and is especially bad if you got young children crawling about the place.  Not only that, toxic lead fumes that can be inhaled and absorbed.  A lot of people do it without even thinking of the dangers to themselves and others around.  

Check out the following URLs:
Lead Safety Leaflet for Fishermen
Humans and Lead Sinkers</font>

T

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>my brother makes plain weights and saves money but loses abit on grip leads etc
</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>To eliminate the risk of moisture within the moulds causing an explosion you should always pre-heat the mould. I make all my own lead weights and yes the initial cost of buying the equiptment but I can assure you that by making both grip and non grip weights I save a significant amount of money and theres always something to do on a miserable winters night when you cant fish, make weights for the forthcoming year.</font>

·
Registered
9 Posts
<font color='#000000'> I MAKE MY OWN LEADS I BOUGHT A GAS COOKER FROM THE LOCAL CARAVAN SHOP YOU CAN BUY 4 GAS CANS FOR £8 AND A CAN WILL MAKE ABOUT 100 SINKERS. GET CLEAN LEAD FROM YOUR LOCAL SCRAPMAN AND A TUBE OF STAINLESS STEEL WELDING WIRE WILL LAST YOU A LIFE TIME.. ITS BETTER THAN PAYING 90PENCE FOR A SPIDER..</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000080'>I make my own Gemini leads with the kits you buy. The lead is old flashing and is free.My mate and I worked out you save couple of quid on 10 leads. But the real plus is we get to spend a couple of hours in the garage having a beer and a fag, talking fishing, planning trips and making something your going to use the next time you go. Seems to ease the pain of loosing them too.....just have to go make some more
</font>

·
Registered
244 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Been making my own sinkers for approx a year now, i use the 5+6oz beach bomb moulds (both from DCA moulds). Perhaps i&#39;m in the fortunate situation where i can get access to welding/heating gear so theres no cost there. I make both plain and breakaway grip leads and so far have accumalated 4 Quality street tins full of them. If anyone has read Octobers edition of TSF you&#39;ll find an article on Conger fishing in Port Talbot steel works (The long arm) This is where i fish and it&#39;s not uncommon to lose lead every other cast, so you can see the necessity to owning lots of sinkers. I also find the whole weight making process quite satisfiying, mmmmmmmm all that shiney metal</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I make my own leads 3,4,5 and 6 oz, lead is easy to get hold of from your local tyre garage, they have to pay for disposal of old lead so you both save money.</font>

R

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;ve always made my own pirks, ever since I was a kid (with paternal assistance, obviously)

At the moment lead is selling, for scrap, at 50p per kilo & you can always pick up old chrome pram-frames or shower rail for nothing from any scrap dealer.

I&#39;ve always used an old tin can & a camping gas stove for re-melting lead & found it very effective & I reckon thet making 10, 16oz pirks costs about £3, not including an hours labour of course.

Cut the tubing to the desired length & stand it up in a bucket of DRY sand, pour in molten lead & leave to cool.
When totally cold (&#39;bout 20 mins) remove the pirk from the sand & cut the ends to an angle, drill a 5mm hole in each end, et voila, complete pirk for about 40p&#33; &nbsp;
</font>

&

·
0 Posts
Just as others have said. A night shift on the lathe and a blank of ally will make a couple of sinker moulds, particularly agree with the reference to garage/mate/fag. Replace garage with garden (B.B.Q. area) and omit fag. Having difficulty moulding in swivels though. Cheers, Tony. :D Anyone like to expand on making breakaway leads? :huh:

T

·
0 Posts
just a thought

as i was walking thought my local church yard i spotted a load of lead up on the church roof , but dont forget to ask b4 you tak anything that does not belong to you&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
def make my own pirks an 1lbs for the boat at say a four five quid for a pirk and one pound ten for a poundy.work in the building trade so get my lead for nothing
and the copper wire. so i save about fiftean quid when am out soon ads up.
think of that rod and real you always dream about

1 - 14 of 14 Posts