World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone let me know if fishing off the shore is permitted in the Maldives. I am going there next week and am wondering if its worth sneaking a rod in the luggage without the wife noticing:whistling. Any replies greatly appreciated
thanks CRAG

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Can anyone let me know if fishing off the shore is permitted in the Maldives. I am going there next week and am wondering if its worth sneaking a rod in the luggage without the wife noticing:whistling. Any replies greatly appreciated
thanks CRAG
Crag
As a general rule the answer's NO - see MarktheShark's post below. But I have seen instances on specific atolls of individuals fishing from the shore. I suspect, in such instances, the locals may be just more relaxed, or not wish to offend, rather than it necessarily being within the rules.

Perhaps if you identify exactly whereabouts you'll be holidaying others could comment specifically.

Ullo matey
I was in Maldives in spring 2007, not Kuredu but an island called Meedhupparu. First up, a warning that fishing from the shore, jetties or any watercraft within the atoll of resort reefs is forbidden, and punishable with a US $500 fine. I initially thought that was a shame, but when I saw how unconcerned about humans the fish, turtles and dolphins were around the house reef, I changed my mind. Best leave the shore gear at home, or use it from the boat.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi ... the fishing ban, as I understood it, applies to resort reefs/atolls with hotels and includes not just the shoreline, but the waters around these islands too.
However, there are designated islands where fishing is allowed - these are the places the local boats take tourists night fishing, handlining etc, so it's possible that shore fishing would be allowed there too.
The fishing around the Maldives islands was pretty amazing, with large pelagics roaming close inshore in some places - we saw sailfish being taken within 400m of the shore by local dhonis. Lots of tuna, snapper, sharks, wahoo and dorado - see the report I posted from Meedhupparu if you're interested.
IMHO it's certainly worth taking a travel rod. Some of the resorts have properly equipped game-boats but most don't - so their fishing excursions comprise trolling or reef-fishing with a handline from a dhoni.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Grag
Mark's report was on this earlier thread - http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9176&highlight=Meedhupparu&page=2 - post 16.

And back to that point about the uncertainty. One of our Club's German members first fished there in 2007 and his report, with some great photographs illustrating it, is on this site - http://www.bluewaterfishing.eu/e_start.html - against Trip Reports, Maldives 2007. Towards the bottom of page 2 you'll see several shots of him fishing the beach and also the edge of the reef. Whether it's legal though - um ... it's back to Mark's point.

If you identify which atoll you'll be holidaying on someone here might be able to assist. Alternatively somewhere like the forum on www.tripadvisor.com is a good source of information.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It was extremely difficult getting any information from the Maldives tourist board, either in London or Male. However, when I went in 2008 I talked to one of the managers at the resort who confirmed it, and said it was enforced (with fines of US$500 and confiscation of tackle also an option) at most resort islands because of the value of having unstressed marine life on the hotel house reefs.
I'm not sure how and whether such fines have ever been imposed but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence on travel and fishing websites about shore anglers being asked/told to stop at Maldives resorts. Having swum with shoals of fish so immense - and unbothered - and shaken flippers with the turtles at Meedhu, I can see why.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts