World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, please could someone tell me if you are allowed to fish off the beach in the maldives.I'm thinking of going there in the summer so just wondered if there were any laws that I should know about.If you can what baits do you recommend?
Thanks guys,
Darren.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Shore fishing from resort islands is illegal and punishable by a $500 fine. Shore fishing from a few designated fishing islands is allowed provided the boatman has a permit for you, as I understand it.
Have a look in the Asian forum if you're thinking of taking some gear. I posted a report last month.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I fish (almost) everywhere I go and didn't find the Maldives a problem; because the house reef where I went (Meedhupparu) was protected, the fish and turtles were amazingly unfussed by humans and it was magical, and very instructive, to watch big jacks and snappers feeding and ambushing from close range. The offshore fishing was very good and made up for the absence of shore fishing. I'd go again, but with my boat gear. Simple, really!

T

·
0 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Mark.

It is the most amazing place under and over the water that I have ever seen. The lack of shore fishing simply doesn't matter as you will spend your whole time in the water looking at the amazing sea life.

Unfortunately I went on my honey moon with my ex wife and the new misses doesn't want to go anywhere I went with "her". I'd go back every year if I could.

Tom

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maybe I will reconsider some day. It was a matter of principal for me, as I have fished everywhere I have gone on holiday in the past - fishing holiday or not. I do like to take the opportunity to have a few casts before the sun-bathers arrive.

T

·
0 Posts
Spill

Most of the all inclusive islands will offer a free nights fishing with a handline, take a telescopic rod and use that instead.

I did actually have a sneaky go from the shore and whilst other people on the island (Kuredu) got told to stop, they seemed to trun a blind eye to me (couldn't advise they will though). Right down to the point of having the island security guard joining me for a chat whilst I was catching Blue Powder Tsangs under a float....
Most odd.

BUT

It is such a worthwhile place to visit, even just once in your life.

Hand feeding the baby reef sharks and baby Moray eels with fish from the restaurants became my mornings entertainment followed by my own snorkel expeditions set-up around more adventurous parts of the island.

Amazing place, you have to go there.

Tom

·
Registered
274 Posts
My Mrs is hell bent on going there but im not sure i can handle seeing all the fish and not being able to wet a line.

Tom,are there any charter boats out there or anyone that can offer a days rod fishing ?

I really dont fancy spending 15 grand on a handline fishing trip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts