i want to catch 1 of theres beauty's this summer
any1 know where / when and rigs n bait needed
any info much appriciated

thanks

captain (chris)

·
Registered
275 Posts
They can sometimes be caught from the ledges around St.Davids Head, I caught both a male and female in the same session - Going back more years than I care to remember when I was fit enough to do the walk from whitesands bay.

I caught mine on small hardback crab under a float fished close to the rock ledges, long-ish trace, the same way you'd fish for ballans actually (which is what I was after).

Wear good, grippy boots if you're going there, travel light, dbe prepared to move around and explore the ledges, don't fish it alone and only when conditions are right.. It's a beautiful place to fish but some of the ledges are a bit dodgy.

Wrasse are territorial so it pays to cover a wide area and to walk further than other anglers are prepared to.

·
Registered
25,001 Posts
Mackeral strip!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have had great fun with wrasse on a small spinning rod using small soft plastics like bubbling shads, rig them weedless or with a guarded jighead and literally bounce them along the bottom of any suitable ledge or gully, they cant help themselves but smash and grab, its great fun and if after a few retrieves you get nothing move on to another gully or part of the ledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts