World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today a Male believed to be in his 20's was washed away after landing in trouble at the causeway at worms head,
The rescue operation is centred around Worm's Head on Gower
A major air and sea search is taking place off the Gower coast for an outdoor pursuits instructor feared swept way off Worm's Head.
Rescuers fear the man tried to cross the causeway during a rising tide.

He had camped on Worm's Head with a female friend, also an instructor. She managed to swim to the mainland.

Lifeboat crews, police and an RAF rescue helicopter are searching nearby bays for the man, aged in his 20s, who has survival training experience.

Swansea Coastguard said they suspect the man and his companion, who both worked for an outdoor pursuits centre, may have overslept and missed their deadline for the return journey.

The four-hour tide "window" recommended to cross the causeway between Worm's Head and Rhossili closed at 0610 BST on Friday.

The alarm was raised at 0816 BST after the woman struggled ashore alone and reached an emergency phone. She was taken to hospital suffering from hypothermia.

Emergency crews are hoping the man has used his survival training to bring himself ashore at the one of the many isolated beaches on the Gower Peninsula.

'Cries of help'

The man in his 20s had been camping overnight and appears to have tried to swim back to the mainland over the causeway, said Swansea Coastguard.

A spokesman for Swansea Coastguard said: "They tried to cross the causeway but the causeway was flooded.

"She made it across but could hear him shout cries of help."

Lifeboats from Mumbles, Burry Port, and Port Beynon have been dispatched.

The South Wales Police helicopter and an helicopter from RAF Chivenor have also been scrambled. Paramedics are on stand-by at Rhossili.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both were trained in survival but you must be careful no matter how much experience you have.
We just hope he made it to shore.
Hypothermia is the real killer though!

·
Registered
325 Posts
my sympathies go out to this young mans family, if he has come to an untimely end, we all know the sea is unforgiving but its not only worms head causeway that is dangerous, there are too many places to mention along the gower coastline that have claimed lives i see the rescue helicopter out at least once a week for one calamity after another.i personally have fished the causeway hundreds of times without cause for concern,i'm not saying that its not dangerous down there ,but it's as dangerous as anywhere else if you dont know what you're doing,if you are going to fish in unfamiliar territory at least try and get some information as to where you are going and remember when you fish the gower you are fishing into the second highest tidal fall in the world so if you slip or time things wrong things could go bad for you too!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last summer a mate and i where fishing near the river down three cliffs bay. It suprising how many holiday makers didn't notice the tide come up the river and around them. Me and the mate rushed over to point out that they needed to leave and help a young family back across the river. On another day my mate pulled a young boy out of the sea after he went swiming on the falling tide, currents are totaly mad in that neck of the woods.
Just hope people take note of this incident and take care around this area.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Having fished Gower for years I am amazed how many people come to grief there, 3 Cliffs, the Points at Port Eynon & Oxwich, The Worm (despite the notices either side of the Causeway), the Pills on the marsh at Penclawdd, how many times in a year do we read of somebody being drowned, or saved from drowning by the inshore lifeboat, after getting cut off by the rising tide.
There are danger notices on most beaches warning people about the high rise & fall of the tide, & the dangerous currents off all headlands on Gower, but still they die. How many have fallen to their deaths, or been seriously injured at Rhossilli, again despite warning notices.
With a son an outdoor activities instructor, & knowing his level of expertise, fitness, & equipment, I was optimistic that this lad would "ride" the current down to Fall Bay, or Mewslade, & "angle in", which is what my son said he would have done, however time is proving to be the enemy now!
Unfortunately even this awful event will not be the last one of the year, we will see them coming off the Worm, in shorts & sandals, with the water up to their knees, with children on their shoulders, oblivious to the danger, as SWWASAC said its the hypothermia that kills, that, & the panic of being swept away adds to the shock!
Having been on a boat that sank, not wearing a life jacket, & in a strong current, despite having had years of survival training, I had to force myself not to swim directly for the shore, force myself not to panic, force myself to rely on what I had been taught , without that, I hate to think what could have happened.
We all hope this lad is ashore somewhere, but if not, we must use our forum to warn visiting anglers especially, of the dangers that lurk on this beautiful but dangerous peninsula!
blueskip

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have been sea fishing for a few years and experiance should tell were to go and not to go so if you are new to this exciting but some times dangerous sport ask some one first tackel shop ect were to go and work ya way up as the places that are good are usully the dangers ones take care.

·
Registered
41 Posts
God I hope this guys OK, allthough time is fast running out, there is no place worse when things go wrong, Preparation, Experience, Fitness, are all very well in expected scenarios, but the unexpected cannot be allowed for, all we can do is lessen the odds of being caught is these situations by good planning, above all RESPECT for the Sea and it's capabilities are once again the order of the Season!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No matter where you go or how well you know a mark never turn your back on the sea. I t will surprise you when you are unaware of changes to tide and conditions, respect it always.
Be careful all of you, wear plenty of clothes keep warm, carry a mobile phone, tell someone where you are going and what time you will return. Hand flares are cheap enough to buy carry some with you in a sealed box, dont become another statistic. :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
yea i knew the guy thats missing!! not looking good now! just go's to show how much you've got to respect the sea no matter how well your trained or you know it! and how hard is it for his family and friends having the wait to find him! very sad story! :(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many locals should know you only have a small window either side of low water.
You cannot go out there and expect to fish the Causeway in the middle or on the head and expect to return on the same tide as it comes in very fast. If you should get into difficulty make a very fast move for the nearest shoreline nearest to you, dont stop run if you can. Once on shore get to higher ground, if you are on the Causeway use a mobile phone if you have one 999 or 112 are the numbers to use, ask for the Coastguard give them your details and telephoone number, then sit still dont go wandering off exploring. if you dont have a phone remove a peice of bright clothing red or white or whatever you have and wave it above your head to try and attract another walker or angler who may be able to raise the alarm for you.
The inshore lifeboat from Port eynon will probarbly be the one called to assist you as they are nearer than Mumbles.
Always take extra clothing as the temperature will drop quickly in the summer and winter evenings, you can take off clothes but you cant put on what you dont have.
If you can light a small fire and put something like plastic bags grass etc to create smoke this will be noticed by someone and attention will be drawn to you surround fire with stones to contain the fire.
Most importantly do not panic if you are cold and you have someone with you cuddle them to gain body heat. Do noit drink salt water even if thirsty.
If needed chew on some grass or eat periwinkles snails they have juice in them these will quench your thirst a little.
Hand flares are cheap to buy and one or two in a plastic sealable bag are very handy in an emergency.
Do not go into the water at any time stay dry and warm.
Always tell a family friend where you are going and what time you will be back in an emergency they will know where you were going to be if difficulty arises.
If it is sunny a mirror or glass can be reflected to gain the attention of onlookers.
Think positively not rationally.
I think i have covered everything here rock hopper.
Sadly it wont help Rennie but hopefully others might remeber these words print it off and store it in a trace wallet, you never know it might come useful, in a situation you might not remeber it all due to panic, calm down and compose yourself, then plan your actions.
Be safe, Be careful stay alive. ;)

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Body found on Llangennith floating in the tide At least now his family can lay him to rest and have a grave to visit.
Tragedy is all around us waiting to happen folks, be careful out on the rock beach and boat.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Body found on Llangennith floating in the tide last tuesday, At least now his family can lay him to rest and have a grave to visit.
Tragedy is all around us waiting to happen folks, be careful out on the rock beach and boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts