World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a mornings work at the hospital decided to hit the beach in search of a hound or 2.

Weather perfect, westerly wind, calm sea. Sunny and warm.

Venue north norfolk sand.

Bait. Frozen peeler and a few fresh lug.

Arrived at the beach for a 4pm start, tide had just started to ebb with low tide at 10pm ish.

All I can say is best session ever. 2nd cast in and rod heaves over, almost leaves the stand, a good pull back and into a decent fish. As i reeled in I remembered to adjust the drag on the second rod...just in case. Good job I did as it ripped off like a scene out of jaws.i had to leave it to slack line. Meanwhile reeled in and landed number 1 hound, weighed in at 9lb 2. Great start, quickly slipped back and reeled in number two, around 7lb.

Phew, great start rebaited one rod and sent out, before I could get the other rod sorted another cracking bite and another hound of around 7lb.

I thought this couldn't get any better but it continued. 4th hound almost took the rod off the rest and this one felt better, a great scrap, including the twitchy bum bit in the surf. And a lovely female on the beach.. weighed in at 11lb 1. Well chuffed.

A couple more 6 to 7 lb fish followed, and a couple of smaller males around 3 lb. Then another big bite and scrap and another double on the beach 10lb 6. Followed by a string of 6/7lb fish. Now up to 11.
Fish number 12 arrived as I was trying to have a wee, again glad I set the clutch, another big female. 10lb 4. Just time for photos as a fellow angler walking back (nice to meet you who ended with 13!!)

Hounds 14 and 15 were slightly smaller, both around 5lbs, before 16 and 17 were around the 3 to 4lb mark. Still time to lose one in the gully as well, snapped the hook link and felt a decent size.

So after 2.5 hours ended up with 17 hounds, 3 doubles and one just under. Had just about used all my bait and the vermin and weed started to show.

I had intended in fishing into darkness but didn't need to. Fantastic few hours, not sure I could top that but will try again somewhere on Thursday.

Must add my arms ache at bit now:D

Attachments

Registered
Good to see them return again in such high numbers. Thanks for the report Tim on your manic session.

Registered
After a mornings work at the hospital decided to hit the beach in search of a hound or 2.

Weather perfect, westerly wind, calm sea. Sunny and warm.

Venue north norfolk sand.

Bait. Frozen peeler and a few fresh lug.

Arrived at the beach for a 4pm start, tide had just started to ebb with low tide at 10pm ish.

All I can say is best session ever. 2nd cast in and rod heaves over, almost leaves the stand, a good pull back and into a decent fish. As i reeled in I remembered to adjust the drag on the second rod...just in case. Good job I did as it ripped off like a scene out of jaws.i had to leave it to slack line. Meanwhile reeled in and landed number 1 hound, weighed in at 9lb 2. Great start, quickly slipped back and reeled in number two, around 7lb.

Phew, great start rebaited one rod and sent out, before I could get the other rod sorted another cracking bite and another hound of around 7lb.

I thought this couldn't get any better but it continued. 4th hound almost took the rod off the rest and this one felt better, a great scrap, including the twitchy bum bit in the surf. And a lovely female on the beach.. weighed in at 11lb 1. Well chuffed.

A couple more 6 to 7 lb fish followed, and a couple of smaller males around 3 lb. Then another big bite and scrap and another double on the beach 10lb 6. Followed by a string of 6/7lb fish. Now up to 11.
Fish number 12 arrived as I was trying to have a wee, again glad I set the clutch, another big female. 10lb 4. Just time for photos as a fellow angler walking back (nice to meet you who ended with 13!!)

Hounds 14 and 15 were slightly smaller, both around 5lbs, before 16 and 17 were around the 3 to 4lb mark. Still time to lose one in the gully as well, snapped the hook link and felt a decent size.

So after 2.5 hours ended up with 17 hounds, 3 doubles and one just under. Had just about used all my bait and the vermin and weed started to show.

I had intended in fishing into darkness but didn't need to. Fantastic few hours, not sure I could top that but will try again somewhere on Thursday.

Must add my arms ache at bit now:D
Blimey what a great session, I beat your arms are aching!

Registered
Great sesh @Tim c just think if u was at ya van would of been 6inch tings lol
You鈥檒l be heading my way soon in search of the stingrays.
tried other day but didn鈥檛 get one

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great sesh @Tim c just think if u was at ya van would of been 6inch tings lol
You鈥檒l be heading my way soon in search of the stingrays.
tried other day but didn鈥檛 get one
Definitely on my list, not sure where to start with targeting them though. Plenty of thornies starting to show at the van if you can get throughthe tings and dogs.

Registered
Definitely on my list, not sure where to start with targeting them though. Plenty of thornies starting to show at the van if you can get throughthe tings and dogs.
St Oysth buh during a warm calm settled spell, best park infront of the sailor boy n do the walk to the naturist end, but keep your eye towards the water n not the marrin grass behind you if u know what I mean
King rag if u can get it if not a big rag bait is as good
It鈥檚 a waiting game with those

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
St Oysth buh during a warm calm settled spell, best park infront of the sailor boy n do the walk to the naturist end, but keep your eye towards the water n not the marrin grass behind you if u know what I mean
King rag if u can get it if not a big rag bait is as good
It鈥檚 a waiting game with those
Thanks, will let you know if I'm Heading that way. You up at the van soon or defo getting rid?

Registered
Thanks, will let you know if I'm Heading that way. You up at the van soon or defo getting rid?
Definitely getting rid up next Friday to see Julia to sign the paperwork, have then 28 days left before hand keys back, got a great price as they are so desperate for plots we only go up twice every 8 weeks cos of work so thought now is the ideal time to sell as they are paying good money
Our friends sold beginning April as well up at the belfry

Registered
Thanks, yes I've had a few non hound and ray catching sessions lately so its when a plan comes together so well.
The right time of year, the right tide, the right weather, the right venue, the right bait and BINGO! Not a huge amount of luck involved at all, just fine angling. 馃憤

I'll drop you a PM re Suffolk Stingray. Tim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts