World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would be interested to know where we might be going wrong with our casting,

we both use different styles, as you'll see, but both cast similar distances, we've not measured it as we've not cast on grass,

but as a rough idea,

when i cast with Marco's greys pz match and 525supermag (guessing .35mm+ line), set on 5, it's 205 turns to retreive, marco casting on 4, managed 220+ turns,

using my abu Xodus, and a mag elite with .3mm line, no brake blocks and mags set on 1, we both managed 236 turns to retrieve,

marco casting 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUzAaqhtWa4

marco cast 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTaYVaXaG0

Hugh Cast 1, ( poor quality though, marco's phone !!:uhuh: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5xfW5aHKgE

oh, and my first crack off due to a birdie since i can't remember !! but it's the cast i'm interested in !!

thanks all

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Marcos cast would benefit from more body rotation and more solid arms until the hit

Also. he should try to rotate more round the side in the cast instead of casting over the top!!!

That said. its not too bad for a fishing cast and would be relatively safe on the beach

Your cast looks better in that respect but if YOu could get your left leg round and planted before you unwind, you will have something more solid to unwind agai9nst

just my opinion ;)

without trying to blow my own trumpet here is a vid of me casting which shows the rotation quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCqXUrAq8c

Obviously this is a tourny cast and on the beach i wouldn't take such a bit rotation and normally don't step but you'll get the gist

·
Registered
31 Posts
in the first vid you definatly came over the top to much. you need more rotation befor you bring the rod over to enable you to hit it. what mark has rote is spot on.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
[

using my abu Xodus, and a mag elite with .3mm line, no brake blocks and mags set on 1, we both managed 236 turns to retrieve,

[/quote]

218 springs to mind hugh! was only a laugh but i can see im not getting any rotation , when i try with the rotation i get the timing all wrong and it ends up pretty much anywhere , i just keep practicing.

thats not mark from eastborne is it (aka roger from the piers m8)?

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where's the other vid marco ? the one where i didn't crack off !

ps, we were both the same number of turns on my set up, you best me by 30 on your one !

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
237 my first attempt on yours then 236 on second yours was 218 , you got me thinking but anthoney remembers as well. not that im being competative or anything lol ;-)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Im only just learning myself, so I would like to know why in the first video, cast 1 you swing it straight back out, which is the same as I have been shown and cast 2 you start by swinging the lead up the beach?

Not sure what I writing makes sense but if you watch the vids you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Ah I see for myself, one of them is you and the other is smoothy. Smoothy is doing it the same as I was shown.

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to be honest, i've never had lessons or owt, and just kind of 'developed' a style i was comfortable with, not perfect, but it seems to work !, only recently did i begin messing about with the 'back to the water' stance, i was watching a load of vids of tournament casters, and i tried it, i get a much smoother bend in the rod by doing it this way too. before, my rod looked kinda twisted, not a smooth compress at all. my distance isn't massively improved by it, it's just alot smoother, i need to now concentrate on slowing it down i think !

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Marco needs to sort his feet out first...then inturn it might stop him coming over the top and hitting to soon......also he needs to slow it down a bit and create a wider arc....Yourself m8ty the same applies...but i did like the Hop-Skip'n'jump lol......must try it sometime lol

Try going back to basic's ie.OTG and sort out your delivery then it will all fall into place

MrB

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol, forgot about this ! can't do otg, well i can, but have no idea where it goes, and have no smoothness to the cast what so ever, not to mention i hate my clipdowns coming apart when the lead is on the floor !

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I like the lazy turn around - you can see what the lead is doing. I just have to try that. Bit like a style of back cast I've seen.
Me I have to guess. I got it right once on an daiwa aw casting pole but I was so stunned at just how heavy the lead got the cast was crap. I really just couldn't believe it.
I've only tried maybe half a dozen times in the past 18 years or so of sea fishing. My guess is that the best bet is to ease off and not try too hard. It's clearly a matter of timing.

John

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i do need to slow down, well.. so everyone tells me ! i did find the other day, that by not having my hands so far apart on the butt, that i could get a faster (better) push pull at the end of the cast, i've tried to stop the back to the water for now (hard to get outta the habit though !) and concentrate on the later part of the cast, i'll get there !

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
i do need to slow down, well.. so everyone tells me ! i did find the other day, that by not having my hands so far apart on the butt, that i could get a faster (better) push pull at the end of the cast, i've tried to stop the back to the water for now (hard to get outta the habit though !) and concentrate on the later part of the cast, i'll get there !
we must meet up in daylight somtime Hugh (not on the arm) then i can sort you out good and proper lol.........dont forget to bring some gaffa tape ...as i wouldnt want you to split ...........lol

MrB

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we must meet up in daylight somtime Hugh (not on the arm) then i can sort you out got and proper lol.........dont forget to bring some gaffa tape ...as i wouldnt want you to split ...........lol

MrB
lol ! i think i'm gonna fish the bay on friday night, cant do sat as i'm going to jersey early sunday, come over if ya like, i might post it as a mini meet on the south forum, infact, i'll do that now !

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
lol ! i think i'm gonna fish the bay on friday night, cant do sat as i'm going to jersey early sunday, come over if ya like, i might post it as a mini meet on the south forum, infact, i'll do that now !
M8 ide love to but im diggin king on friday then doing Bexi on saturday............mrs isnt happy at that lol maybe soon thou

Andy

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
M8 ide love to but im diggin king on friday then doing Bexi on saturday............mrs isnt happy at that lol maybe soon thou

Andy
sorry dude, meant next friday ! i'm skint now for this week :unsure:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Im with Bagstar on this,very much smoothies style is where im at for now.
ie.......over the top kinda style........Ive tried the round house style
where your further round the back .....but the guys up the beach
seem to object when my cast goes Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizing past their earhole.
cant direst the cast "Sea bound"
Up and over....ish seems to get me to about 1 O Clock out to sea
sometimes 2...........hence I fish on me own a lot.......lolol

enjoyed the vids though fellers.....:clap3: nuffin worse than a crack off up ya plums.....lol

Gaz :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts