World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished marcoss this morning with gibby & tarw, Quite poor all round, plenty of little bites but nothing taking the baits.
Managed to hook a small pollack just after high water on a 3 hook flapper, with macky strips, but that was it, until gibby had a tap on his rod, which seemed to snag as he struck, he then let some line out to free it and out of the blue, his line started zig-zagging all over the shop, ripping line off as it ran.
He eventually snagged up again, and we all waited patiently for the water to drop so as he could retrieve the fish. Once low enough, he pulled free of the snag and there on the end was a coddling, barely a 1b, with a huge chunck bitten out of its arse. Dont know what it was that attacked the cod but what ever it was, it was a biggun. Dont think it was a conger, as it would have made more of a mess on the fish, and probably would have finished it off. At a guess I`d say a smooth hound:g: , Took pics of it to show bite damage. By the way, it was gibby`s first coddling:clap3:

Tight lines all.........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Looks as if the weather was nice, shame about the small codling getting munched. Ive caught small keyring Tope from that area so you just never know...........

·
Registered
747 Posts
yeah it was a poor session really. weather was great thou and great company 2. we usually do well there but was poor on saturday. the only difference was the sea was alot carmer saturday than when we have fished it before???? o and yes i have had my 1st codling. hahaha. have you seen the size of it its huge. NOT!!!!.

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,625 Posts
well in there guys - nice to see fish caught........
unlucky on losing the biggie......
eel??? bass??? bigger cod???
did you put it back out for bait????

·
Registered
747 Posts
no didnt put it back out mate with the big run it snagged me up big time so we had to wait for the water to drop right off to see wat it was thought the big one was still on but to my dissappointment it wasnt. never mind my 1st codling anyway.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Fished marcoss this morning with gibby & tarw, Quite poor all round, plenty of little bites but nothing taking the baits.
Managed to hook a small pollack just after high water on a 3 hook flapper, with macky strips, but that was it, until gibby had a tap on his rod, which seemed to snag as he struck, he then let some line out to free it and out of the blue, his line started zig-zagging all over the shop, ripping line off as it ran.
He eventually snagged up again, and we all waited patiently for the water to drop so as he could retrieve the fish. Once low enough, he pulled free of the snag and there on the end was a coddling, barely a 1b, with a huge chunck bitten out of its arse. Dont know what it was that attacked the cod but what ever it was, it was a biggun. Dont think it was a conger, as it would have made more of a mess on the fish, and probably would have finished it off. At a guess I`d say a smooth hound:g: , Took pics of it to show bite damage. By the way, it was gibby`s first coddling:clap3:

Tight lines all.........
looks to me like the marks that a bass would leave cos if it were anything else it would have bitten it in half .
i would say pad marks of a bid bass.

·
Registered
747 Posts
yeah could have been mate. the only thing you should have seen the thing run wat ever it was. would a bass do that???????

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
yes mate bass go like hell.
looking at the fish if it was a conger it would be in half and if it was a seal, you can see the pad marks on the fish cos bass aint got teeth they got pads.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
i have used small pollock for live bait for bass and on a few occasions i didnt give the fish enough time they let go and left a mark almost identical to that.
i would say it was a big un and hard lines not landing him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts